Restoring an old, french woodburning fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

alfie

Sep 4, 2006
www.frenchhouse.org.uk
Hi there,

I'm trying to restore a wood burning fireplace of a type I've not come across before.

The fireplace is fairly small, with a marble and plaster mantel. There is no hearth to speak of. All that remains of the grate is a flat, metal plate that sits about an inch of the ground with an air space underneath. A retractable metal screen can be lowered by degrees all the way down to completely cover the fireplace. It is a 19C fireplace, we think from around 1840. There are 3 in the house, which is in Pyrenees-Orienthales.
Do you know what sort of grate and hearth a fireplace like this should have? Should there be an ash pan a fret or even a dog grate above the base plate?

I'd be very grateful for any advice you might have! I've attached a picture...

Many thanks!

Attachments

• fire.JPG
    fire.JPG
    11.2 KB · Views: 246
Status
Not open for further replies.