Review: Wyeth-Scott 6,000 lb More-Power-Puller

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Beowulf

Dec 24, 2009
SoCal Southern Sierras
Ok, so you may have seen my not-so-flattering review of a Harbor Freight 8,000 lb cable puller:

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/55550/P0/

In that thread, Flatbedford mentioned the Wyeth-Scott puller as a good alternative. I took a look at their web-site, and finally scraped together the coinage to buy one.

I went with the heavier duty of the two offerings, the 6,000 lb (dead lift capacity) unit. I also ordered an extra handle and a handle extension, since they say they use the handle as the "weak link" for overload. I ordered it with the Amsteel Blue synthetic cable, a 5' and a 10' choker cable. Total, after a sale/discount they were apparently running at the time, was something like $313 with shipping.

The unit arrived about a week later. It is a night and day difference from the HF unit that I despised and returned after failure. This puller is the real deal. It looks like something you would find in an antique store; cast iron construction and heavy (27 lbs with the synthetic cable.)

I had a couple of large objects that needed to relocate. They were not in a convenient place to hook a truck/tractor to, so I tested the puller out. It performed admirably. It took over the job where the HF unit failed, then proceeded to drag the other, larger/heavier objects with no problems. I did need to hook it up with a double line pull with the included snatch block, but was amazed at the force this thing will allow you to generate. I did need the extension handle to generate enough force to move the biggest object, so would recommend it, if you are going to spring for one of these anyway.

I have used similar pullers with steel cable. I like the synthetic cable on this one better. It remains relatively flexible when not under tension, so is a little easier to move around than a steel cable. It winds up nice on the take up reel, forming even layers as you wind more cable onto the spool.

Overall, I am very pleased with the puller and feel that it is a good value at a not-so cheap price. I think it may keep me from needing to buy a winch for the front of the truck, so it was money well spent. I like the idea that I can hook it to a tree with a web mesh strap and not necessarily have the truck close to where I need to drag a log or stump or something.

http://www.wyeth-scott.com/

Attachments

• Wyeth-Scott 6000 lb more power puller.jpg
    Wyeth-Scott 6000 lb more power puller.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 3,118
Great review and endorsement. I love a well made product. It's tools like these that made America famous.

I'm really curious as to what the "large object" and the "larger object" were/are. :roll: Nice looking tool, and very nice write-up about it. Rick

That unit looks very nice, well made from the pic.'s. I might suggest a cable protector if winching across abrasive surfaces. The synthetic cables are great, but will abrade if dragged across rough stuff. Old fire hose works well.

I missed this back in September. Nice review. Mine has the wire rope. I don't know if the synthetic was an option when I bought mine. It was before the internet and I called after I saw an ad in a magazine. Back then even if there were more options one did not always know about them. Large objects I have pulled include, logs, trees, trucks, boats, rocks, and machinery.

Just get the winch. You never know when you may need to move a big load
IMG_5350-134.gif

I have a cheaper version that was given to me. It works ok in helping get a tree down once in a while. That is about all I use it for.

Status
Not open for further replies.