Right handed splitters

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have my left hand on the bottom of the handle and the right hand high. I split this way most of the time. I hurt my shoulder 2 years ago and couldn't swing this way. I needed to split more wood to stay on schedule. I learned to split lefty also. So now I will change it up to keep either arm from getting too tired.

I have my right hand on the hydraulic lever and my left hand on the wood.

Oh, wait... you mean on an axe. Not sure what is front or back. Right hand closer to me and left hand closer to wood.

LLigetfa said:
I have my right hand on the hydraulic lever and my left hand on the wood.
Same here! right hand on top

Hydraulic splitter:

Right hand on the lever, left to hold the wood if its tipsy.

Axe/maul/sledge:

Right hand is at the end of the axe handle and acts as the anchor arm and center of my splitting arc. Left hand held just under the tool head. Bagin swingto my left and around behind my left shoulder, when the tool is almost vertical over my head my right hand is about the height of my heart, left hand begins its travel down the length of the handle as it continues to apply force to the swing. By the time the too is horizontal I've got both hands touching at the end of the handle and the head is moving at maximum velicoty and my hands are basically there for the ride and to keep the tool under control when it hits.

I'm not sure....

I'll have to watch the wifey the next time she is splitting wood.
rockernana.gif

I think most right handed people would position their hands on the axe handle the same as a baseball bat; right hand above left hand.

I am VERY right handed...but for the life of me I cannot hold an axe or a bat comfortably with the left hand below the right...I can't swing it at all.

mayhem said:
I am VERY right handed...but for the life of me I cannot hold an axe or a bat comfortably with the left hand below the right...I can't swing it at all.
My brother like that everthing right handed, but the bat ax he does left handed even golf!

I am VERy right handed - as in looks like a fool throwing and doing other things lefty. I split with hands in both positions.

I hold an axe in each hand. it goes faster that way.

Seriously, though. Just like a bat. right over left. left near end of axe handle. Right near head, bring them together for the end of the swing.

I am in total agreement with mayhem. I have been that way since birth for bats, snow shovels, axes, etc. I am a right handed hockey player who shoots left. IMHO, when the dominant hand is at the end of the tool, greater precision is gained at the working end of the tool. The centered/sliding hand only acts as a fulcrum.

FWIW, an old hockey coach told me that however you shovel snow is how you should be holding your hockey stick.

Also, this theory applies itself to bayonet fencing, the dominant hand positioned at the end of the tool.

Well, Iguess I golf lefty and split righty. Maybe if I get a tough to split piece I'll switch to catch it off guard.harhar

I am fairly ambidextrous. Was fully ambidextrous as a child but the teachers beat it out of me. Many tools I can use in either hand but I lost the ability to write with my left.

Risser09 said:
I am in total agreement with mayhem. I have been that way since birth for bats, snow shovels, axes, etc. I am a right handed hockey player who shoots left. IMHO, when the dominant hand is at the end of the tool, greater precision is gained at the working end of the tool. The centered/sliding hand only acts as a fulcrum.

FWIW, an old hockey coach told me that however you shovel snow is how you should be holding your hockey stick.

Also, this theory applies itself to bayonet fencing, the dominant hand positioned at the end of the tool.
we agree on purpose of placement, but apparently disagree on how to control the axe. Right hand is dominant and should control direction of the swing. This is easier from the end with the weight, which is why I put my right hand near it. Left hand is not used for any control, merely to aid in the swing, so it is put near the end of the handle where it is unlikely to effect the direction.

Right handed hockey players put their right hand nearer the blade of the stick for better control. Snow shoveling uses the left arm as a fulcrum during the throw, right arm for control and strength during the scoop. Neither axe swinging or hockey playing requires a fulcrum.

lol, funny we have different methods for the same things but have arrived at those conclusions for the same reasons.

What is really interesting are the theories as to why they drive on the left side of the road in some places. Supposedly based on how one carries their sword. Don't you be sneaking up on my right side when I have an axe.

Status
Not open for further replies.