Right under my nose, a score in the backyard

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mywaynow

Minister of Fire
Dec 13, 2010
Northeast
I was cleaning up the yard from some of the ice storm damage today. White pines dropping limbs like hair out of my head! I was done with that chore and just looking around with a saw in my hand. With the snow squashing the undergrowth, I could see a few blow downs in the wet area in the rear of my property. Took the saw to it and seems it is good stuff. Pics are of a 20 inch tree and a 12 incher. I did not notice that they were similar until I looked at the sawdust debris and noticed the distince yellow color at both tree sites. What I think it may be is Walnut?? What is your thought? Both growing near springs, if that matters.

Attachments

• tree6.jpg
    tree6.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 301
  • tree5.jpg
    tree5.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 304
Is this a foul smelling tree when burnt?

Looks like locust to me too.. Great firewood!

Ray

Also locust. Much better than walnut. Stack and split it. It will easily be ready for next season.

I agree it is Black Locust. Black Walnut would have a much darker heartwood. Yellow sawdust is a good clue that you have locust. Locust growing near a spring was just random chance. It will grow in moist places and also drier spots.

Status
Not open for further replies.