RK2100u on a Tarm?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tarmsolo60

Feeling the Heat
Dec 2, 2007
Adirondack Mountains
The blower control on my solo60 stopped turning the fan off like it should when the stack temp is low, I've gone out in the morning to a cold boiler with the fan still runnning, no adjustment seems to remedy this.

I'm actually thinking of installing a newer RK2100u controller like the eko and biomax have, Has anyone else done this? It seems like the variable speed control would work as I've read about others putting ceiling fan speed controls on their tarm.

what are peoples opinions of doing something like this, I really like my tarm but feel the rk2100u is a superior controls. Anyone know anything about issues that might occur?

Anyone have a NoFossil like idea for a control that would remedy my problem, I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks,
Jack

Thinking about it a bit, Jack, you might want to contact Dave Rush at Cozy Heat. He sells both Tarms and EKOs and as such, is familiar with both. He also sells the controller.

I see you're in the Adks. If you're close by, I'd be happy to loan you my old controller to play around with for a few days and see if you can make it work. There's no difference in the basic operation between the two, I don't think. I live in Clinton but work in Old Forge.

I started a thread recently about this topic and I think the consensus was that it would work. Eric's suggestion of contacting Cozy is a good one. I would be interested in knowing how much the controller costs. The only other issue I can see is that the controller panel is a different shape from the Tarms. That is not too big a deal unless it is too tall to fit in the Tarm controller opening and would have to be housed externally. Just a thought...

Also, I assume you have adjusted the knob under the cover on the back of the controller that controls the low cut off. Keep in mind it is in C not F. If it still doesn't work with adjustment, I would tend to think it is a probe/sensor issue and not necessarily a controller issue. You may want to check the probes connections to the controller. Good luck, I will be interested in hearing how it goes...

Thanks for the replies,

Eric thanks for the offer, but I went ahead and ordered a new control from cozy heat. I'll just manually shut it off for now.

Woodnotoil, The control stopped working properly after I tried a small adjustment to shut the fan off sooner to leave me a better coal bed, I hate those old style hydraulic controls. I'll get the rk2100u mounted somehow, I know a lot of crafty people if I need something fabricated. The cost of the Tarm replacement fan control was 2/3rds of the new rk2100u with the sensor was, I'll PM you the price because I don't know if I'm really allowed to post prices here.

The new RK2001U reads out in F. and goes up to 195 degrees. The knob controls the max temp setting. I wish it ran the fan speed instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.