Rockland 550

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fmelani

Aug 4, 2011
SW CT
I finally decided on the Jotul C550 Rockland after having an installer come out and verify that it will meet code by only raising the mantel one and half inches. I have also read through just about all the threads which really helped to make my choice, but still have a few questions.

Does the air control lever of the Jotul also control the damper? The Lopi Declaration insert for example has two independent controls; air and damper control. Not sure if the damper just remains open on the Jotul or the air control lever also controls it.

Secondly, I don’t want the electrical cord visible so the installer recommended having an electrician come out and place an outlet within the fireplace. Should not be a big job, but just concerned if it is safe and to code.

I finally decided on the Jotul C550 Rockland after having an installer come out and verify that it will meet code by only raising the mantel one and half inches. I have also read through just about all the threads which really helped to make my choice, but still have a few questions.

Does the air control lever of the Jotul also control the damper? The Lopi Declaration insert for example has two independent controls; air and damper control. Not sure if the damper just remains open on the Jotul or the air control lever also controls it.

The Jotul Inserts do not have a damper. All you can use to control the flame are the primary air control
& the amount of wood you put in the firebox.

Secondly, I don’t want the electrical cord visible so the installer recommended having an electrician come out and place an outlet within the fireplace. Should not be a big job, but just concerned if it is safe and to code.

We do it all the time. Safe? We haven't had an issue., but that doesn't mean we won't in the future. We TapCon a metal box to the floor of the fireplace - all the way to the back. We run BX (armored ) cable up thru the ash clean out or thru a drilled hole in the floor. We then bend a sheet metal box, 1" larger than the junction box (in all directions) as a heat shield. I'd hafta say that it doesn't meet the electrical code, but we've searched & can't actually find it in writing anywhere that specifically states that it DOES violate code. If you're getting the install inspected, do it before the installation of the outlet.
Another option - IF you have heatilator convection vents - is to install the junction box in one of them...

Thank you, appriciate the answers.

The dealer gave me another option which was snake the cord down the ash return then plug it into an existing outlet in our furnace/storage room where the ash return ends. He thought it was a cheap and easy solution. I just want it to be safe but also hidden from view.

This may be a stupid question, but if you cant control the damper wont you lose a lot of heat straight up the SS liner? This wont change my mind on the Jotul but just trying to understand it better.

Thanks again.

I am newbie with Jotul 550. What is the "ash return" that your dealer suggested running cord through? I'm not trying to hide cord, just trying to learn about this new toy.
Thanks!
Carol

I am newbie with Jotul 550. What is the "ash return" that your dealer suggested running cord through? I'm not trying to hide cord, just trying to learn about this new toy.
Thanks!
Carol

There may be a door in the floor of your fireplace...It opens to a cavity under the fireplace that can be used to keep
a LOT of ashes in...

Status
Not open for further replies.