Rod guided Splitter Wedge? Smart Splitter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

afblue

Feeling the Heat
Sep 1, 2009
Buffalo, NY
Been searching for a good time and I cant seem to find it on the internet or forum anywhere. I saw a while ago a manual splitter that was guide rod screwed into a wood Block, then a splitting wedge on the guide rail with a ram weight on top of it. It was a Stainless rod about 3-4ft tall, and a green splitting wedge. I am sure as soon as someone posts a name or link it will all click.

Once I establish what it actually is, will see what you guys think of it for a kindling splitter, and getting large splits smaller.

Thanks Guys/Gals!!!

You're talking about the Smart Products Smart Splitter. Personally, I would just go with something like a Super Spear that doesn't need to be attached to a block.

afblue said:
Been searching for a good time...
Thanks Guys/Gals!!!
I often see phone numbers written on the walls of the stalls saying "for a good time, call 555-1234"

LLigetfa said:
afblue said:
Been searching for a good time...
Thanks Guys/Gals!!!
I often see phone numbers written on the walls of the stalls saying "for a good time, call 555-1234"

Yep you sure to have a purdy mouth....................

kenny chaos said:

LLigetfa said:
You're talking about the Smart Products Smart Splitter. Personally, I would just go with something like a Super Spear that doesn't need to be attached to a block.

Thats it!!! I guess I searched everywhere besides Bailey's!!! The reason I am looking specifically for this is I am most likely going to have it in a 7ft ceiling basement where the firewood is going to be stored, so I dont have the clearance to be standing on a Super Spear or be chipping to the concrete with it, nor swinging an axe in there either.

If you come across one of those old small horizontal splitters, throw an electric motor on it and you have a cheap resplitter/kindling maker that runs indoors.

afblue said:
I dont have the clearance to be standing on a Super Spear or be chipping to the concrete with it...
I don't think the Super Spear needs any more headroom than the Smart Splitter. It is more flexible in that it can be used at different angles and in different places on the log, like in a crotch or even sideways. Also, your hands stay on the handle so you can follow through with more force and faster cycle times. No reason to bust concrete with it either as you can use a short chopping block under it.

http://www.wikco.biz/LogSplitter.htm

LLigetfa said:
afblue said:
I dont have the clearance to be standing on a Super Spear or be chipping to the concrete with it...
I don't think the Super Spear needs any more headroom than the Smart Splitter. It is more flexible in that it can be used at different angles and in different places on the log, like in a crotch or even sideways. Also, your hands stay on the handle so you can follow through with more force and faster cycle times. No reason to bust concrete with it either as you can use a short chopping block under it.

http://www.wikco.biz/LogSplitter.htm

OK, thats not too bad, 64" extended with 16-18" log and a piece under is right about 7 so it might just work. They are within $15 of each other so either would prob work just fine.

So is there anyone here that has either a Super Spear or a Smart Splitter and what is your experience with it?

afblue said:
So is there anyone here that has either a Super Spear or a Smart Splitter and what is your experience with it?

I have a Wood Wiz that is essentially a super spear variant - slide hammer on a pipe... It works, but slowly, I would say my average was needing to hit 2-3 times as many cycles per split as I did with my maul. Made a LOT of noise, worse than a sledge and wedge...

The two-three places where I felt it did do better than a swinging tool

1. When you had a log that would crack but not come apart, it let you put the wedge in the crack and then drive it down below flush with the top of the round

2. When you had something cut on an angle, or bent so that it wouldn't stay standing while you tried to hit it with a maul - it let you prop the round between your legs while getting started, and hold it up with the handle while hitting it after that.

3. When dealing with stringy wood like elm, the handle would help pry the splits apart. However it isn't designed for this, and I did eventually bend the handle (which it is claimed can be replaced w/ metal conduit)

Overall, it was a useful tool, but I could have lived easily without it.

Given how much effort it was to use, and especially how noisy it was, I am not at all sure I'd want to use something like that indoors. My choice for indoor use would probably be one of those little electric splitters.

Gooserider

Gooserider said:
afblue said:

I have a Wood Wiz that is essentially a super spear variant - slide hammer on a pipe... It works, but slowly, I would say my average was needing to hit 2-3 times as many cycles per split as I did with my maul. Made a LOT of noise, worse than a sledge and wedge...

The two-three places where I felt it did do better than a swinging tool

1. When you had a log that would crack but not come apart, it let you put the wedge in the crack and then drive it down below flush with the top of the round

2. When you had something cut on an angle, or bent so that it wouldn't stay standing while you tried to hit it with a maul - it let you prop the round between your legs while getting started, and hold it up with the handle while hitting it after that.

3. When dealing with stringy wood like elm, the handle would help pry the splits apart. However it isn't designed for this, and I did eventually bend the handle (which it is claimed can be replaced w/ metal conduit)

Overall, it was a useful tool, but I could have lived easily without it.

Given how much effort it was to use, and especially how noisy it was, I am not at all sure I'd want to use something like that indoors. My choice for indoor use would probably be one of those little electric splitters.

Gooserider

Good info, I could see how the spear type would create a good echo being a hollow pipe, was there any vibrations it would send through the handle also? I am wondering if the Smart splitter is quieter since there is no hollow parts, and it has a nylon inpact bushing which should deaden the metal/metal sounds

I also have the woodwiz and most of the noise comes from impact of the "hammer" to the wedge, not from the handle.

I, too, bent the handle. I bought the replacement kit from the mfg, but had to take it to a local lawnmower shop to install 'cuz I couldn't get it done.

Peace,
- Sequoia

later note: actually the lawnmower guy straightened the original pipe, 'cuz he couldn't get the retaining ring off either. I still use my 'wiz, mainly for smaller stuff, especially if it won't stand up nicely for me to use the ax, or (like now) my lower back is too f'd up to use the ax or maul. And yes, the 'wiz IS noisy.

I didn't notice any particular handle vibes, and it did have a really heavily finned and cushy grip on the top, but the action felt kind of artificial or stressed - I think this is because your natural body action when picking up something like the weight of the "hammer" would be in a curve as you bent your (fixed length) arm at the elbow. However the pipe would constrain this into a straight vertical motion that felt a bit odd...

I found this even more so when hitting with it... According to the instructions, you are supposed to just pick up the hammer weight and drop it, but I found this wasn't real effective - it would work much better if you sort of "threw" the weight down so that it was moving a lot faster when it hit, but this felt very strange for my arm. (It also increased the noise)

I haven't tried to get the replacement kit, or fix mine, I was able to get it mostly straight by application of opposite force, so it was still useable - but now I don't use any manual technology, the "hydraulic maul" works so much better....

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.