Rodent Crematorium!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pybyr

Minister of Fire
Jun 3, 2008
Adamant, VT 05640
Tonight I discovered yet another new versatile facet of owning a gasifier---

As keeper of a 180+ year old VT farmhouse, I end up inadvertent host from time to time of various fauna (the most interesting of which was the white Ermine I once spotted while getting something out of the cellar freezer) (and yes, I keep trying to insulate and air seal, and it keeps getting better, but the critters still find their way in sometimes).

So, anyways, last evening, I whiffed a fetid stench near my gasifier. Did not have time to deal with it then, but tonight, I honed in on where it was coming from, and it was a large former rodent that had dined its last upon my d-Con.

No longer do I have to take such critter cadavers outside. Onto a sheet of doubled-up newspaper, and into the blazing inferno it went. Maybe it even yielded a bit of heat on its way up the flue...

Before anyone reports me to PETA, I've found various interesting critters in my cellar, such as amphibians and reptiles, and generally tried to take them out live, back to suitable outdoor habitats. Even once had a "spring peeper" frog that I tried to rescue, it's just that it was too shy and always went silent before I could find it to try to take it outside. I just have no patience for rodents, as they come in faster than I could ever move them out- and they eat wiring.

I never thought I would have to share this story BUT, since your burned one I guess I can say I burned one or two. In my other house the boiler was in the detached garage, I did a bit of vege oil processing for burning in the oil burner. For a few days I mistakenly left the cover off of one of the 5 gallon pails of vege oil. As I poked around in the oil to stir it up i saw a long tail or two. Yep, it was bigger than the average mouse or two. They must have hopped in to get a drink and drowned. ( the ultimate rat trap) To make a long story short the neighborhood smelled like fried chicken for little while. It really was pretty gross.

The pail trick works very good for a rat trap. I've done it various ways, like put peanut butter on one side of the pail, with a board on the other side. They climb up the board and try to reach for the peanut butter. Splash! Put up a "No Life Guard On Duty" sign to cover the liability. :lol:

Interesting thread. I haven't burned any, but I did put out some poison when I had a rat in the basement. Then one night I was in a hurry to go down and grab a tool. Felt something under my foot and heard a crunch sound. The thing only squirmed for a few seconds and was finally dead. It must have been near its end already from the poison. Needless to say, the rat got dumped in the woods and the shoes I was wearing got thrown away. Yuck! :gulp:

flyingcow said:
The pail trick works very good for a rat trap. I've done it various ways, like put peanut butter on one side of the pail, with a board on the other side. They climb up the board and try to reach for the peanut butter. Splash! Put up a "No Life Guard On Duty" sign to cover the liability. :lol:

Trick works great for chipmunks. I had a ton of them in my yard last spring, getting in my garage and tunnelling near my front door and foundation. I took a 5 gallon bucket, filled it halfway with water, poured sunflower seeds in it and place a ramp baited with several sunflower seeds. Caught seven chipmunks in 24 hours! I was pretty please but my wife thought I was nuts! I just had to remind her of the time we had flying squirrells in the attic and told her I didn't want a repeat performance.

CTburns said:
I just had to remind her of the time we had flying squirrells in the attic and told her I didn't want a repeat performance.

Those things are horrible. I had to deal with them, years ago. Unlike most squirrels, which are fiercely territorial, flying squirrels live in large colonies, so you might have a dozen (or more) of the things, instead of one or two.

Joe

Can't blame you, mice are one thing I'm not ashamed to put the end to. What knid of animal craps and pees in it's own house?? They build nests in the middle of my lumber stacks then pee & crap in it & ruin the boards right in the middle.

Hydronics said:
Can't blame you, mice are one thing I'm not ashamed to put the end to. What knid of animal craps and pees in it's own house?? They build nests in the middle of my lumber stacks then pee & crap in it & ruin the boards right in the middle.

What kind of animal craps and pees in it's own house?? (hey wait humans do) Oh no does this mean there will be a new wave of outhouses in the US or are we going to have to train mice how to manufacture and use plumbing? (LOL) Burn 'em. Don't look back. And don't store a vehicle until you do. PEEEuhuuuuuu!

henfruit said:
new business venture.small animal disposal service.just need small urns,for the returns.

wonderful entreprenurial idea, but as soon as I advertised, some bozo would make me get a license.

but you're onto something-

everybody, sing it now, together, folk-song style:

"Oh, when I die,
just gasify me
my soul shall waft
upon the wind so free
I will take up
no real estate
I cannot think of
a better fate
I'll leave little ash
and little stench...
"

keep on with the lyrics, gang!

I just watched a show on creamation(sp?) and they use gassifiers to creamate humans and are claming zero smoke!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.