Room air fan (convection blower) cycling. Normal?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Djtweech

Oct 24, 2015
CT USA
Hi Everybody! Thanks in advance for helping out and answering my questions.

I bought a Regency Greenfire 55 Insert last year and this is the 2nd winter running it. I was using pellets that seemed to be running good.

Someone gave me some extra pellets since they were moving. The pellets are smaller and now the pellet stove is operating a little differently.

With the old pellets, the convection blower (room air fan) would stay on constantly. Now the blower is cycling on and off. I haven't timed it, but maybe a 5min on 5min off cycle. I assume it's turning on/off because it's getting too hot? Or is this normal? When the fan is on, the air seems to be much hotter than before.

Old Pellets: Blackstone Pellets / premium hardwood / <1% ash / 8,000+BTU/lb. / <.05% fines / <6% moisture
New Pellets: Energex / premium hardwood / <1% ash / <.5% fines / doesn't mention moisture

Thanks!

Assuming normal maintenance has been performed I would check if the convection blower sensor is clean and connections are tight. Also check for proper voltage to blower motor and that blower wheel moves freely.