Rope door gasket

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TJ7960

Dec 8, 2008
Upstate NY
aol
I am looking at replacing my door gasket to my Whitfield Traditions 11 door. Is the gasket affixed by high temp silicone or another way? Any idea of how to replace it would be appreciated. Thanks

If you know what size to get HD and others sell it as a kit with the adhesive, should be about $6.

HD and Lowe's both sell a kit, but you're gasket size is bigger than the kits they have on hand I believe. Your manual should tell you what size the gasket is, and your local stove shop should have a roll of the gasket on hand you can cut to size. You'll also need to buy the gasket cement. Definitely buy an extra foot just to be safe, and don't stretch the gasket when installing it into the door.

going to replace mine now did it befor but put the seam on the wrong end of the door . pretty easy to do got mine from lowes.

I suggest taking care to remove all old adhesive, no lumps and bumps. Door typically can be lifted off the stove. This is likely in your manual. Laying the door flat and working on it is the easiest for me. Clean the channel where the rope sits. Scrape carefully with a chisel, knife, scraper or whatever you can get at the adhesive. Reinstall as the instructions on the kit say and allow at least to tack dry before remounting. I have always taken a strip of wax paper and sandwiched the door shut and sealed it tight, overnight. Longer than most glues take, but it doesn't hurt. Realize you may have some odor depending on the adhesive and how sensitive your nose is (usually it's the LOTH's sense of smell). I have never had a re-separation using this procedure.

Status
Not open for further replies.