RSF Opel 2000 secondary air questions/story, kind off long

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
70 degree day what is that? lol its actually been nice the last few days im installing now. I'll fire this sucker up later. Im gonna give this 6'' stove pipe a test.
Gotta go pick up some blocks to set this on.

Attachments

• 20200127_101218.jpg
    20200127_101218.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 235
Thanks :) I was thinking of putting it in the corner but it just would not work the way I wanted it to. I wanna build in a wood box next to it.
I'm not sure it looks to be in your living room. Mine faces my living room dead center that radiant heat from the front windows can be felt around the hole living room. The ceramic glass really throws off some heat. I'm sure he stove will do it's job no problem either way basement or any room

I'm not sure it looks to be in your living room. Mine faces my living room dead center that radiant heat from the front windows can be felt around the hole living room. The ceramic glass really throws off some heat. I'm sure he stove will do it's job no problem either way basement or any room
well after looking at it awhile and taking a lot measurements I believe i can make it work in the corner.
Does your Opel have 4 Fire brick or 6? I only have 4 and a metal bracket on each side that holds the front 2 in place.

so I got a fire going and I have question, It seems to draft ok. My question is when you add wood do you have any issue with smoke spilling out? I know you said you are using 8'' stove pipe. I was gonna install the 7'' but im wondering if I should install 8'' ?

Please don't burn in that any more without a hearth.

Gotta go pick up some blocks to set this on.
That's a ZC fireplace, not a freestanding stove. It can't be connected to the current ceiling support with stove pipe. It has to have the required chimney pipe from fireplace top to chimney top.

so I got a fire going and I have question, It seems to draft ok. My question is when you add wood do you have any issue with smoke spilling out? I know you said you are using 8'' stove pipe. I was gonna install the 7'' but im wondering if I should install 8'' ?
Yes if I open both doors I will get a small amount of wood smoke but then it'll start drafting up the chimney. What I typically do is crack the right hand door then open the right hand door then the left hand or both of them in a slow manner. I would say go with an 8-inch pipe the more draft the better plus I'm not sure if you can get 7in and a standard chimney not the ICC chimney ICC chimney cost some Bank

Looks like it's connected to me
Yes but are there cooling channels in the fireplace that need to be hooked to the air space of the chimney to cool properly? Is there something else that is effected by not using the proper chimney

@jjfmetal This is not a proper or legal installation. It is dangerous. Stove pipe is not for use in an enclosed space. The fireplace must be connected with ICC 7" chimney, only.

Last edited:
Yes if I open both doors I will get a small amount of wood smoke but then it'll start drafting up the chimney. What I typically do is crack the right hand door then open the right hand door then the left hand or both of them in a slow manner. I would say go with an 8-inch pipe the more draft the better plus I'm not sure if you can get 7in and a standard chimney not the ICC chimney ICC chimney cost some Bank
8" doesn't mean more draft it means more volume with less velocity. And the chimney need to be one specified for use with that fireplace

From the manual -

This fireplace is certified for use with 7" ICC Model EXCEL chimney only.

Yes but are there cooling channels in the fireplace that need to be hooked to the air space of the chimney to cool properly? Is there something else that is effected by not using the proper chimney
This is some valuable info I did not know I know my stove is installed by qualified dealer before I had purchased the home now I'm curious to look to see if I have the correct chimney or not

This is some valuable info I did not know I know my stove is installed by qualified dealer before I had purchased the home now I'm curious to look to see if I have the correct chimney or not
This is required for some fireplaces but not the RSF. It uses ICC chimney with solid pack insulation.

Okay now I'm confused when people are talking about how their stove drafts what are they talking about?
How a stove drafts depends upon many things. But basically it is a combination of the negative pressure in the chimney and the volume and velocity of the gasses being evacuated from the stove.