run a pellet stove to the fullest?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pharmsaler

Dec 12, 2010
Western PA
Hi..I have followed this site for a while now...I'm looking at an insert and have it narrowed down to a few...I really like the Enviro m55 and or the Empress. Both are cast iron which I like the look of the fireplace and the surround. My concern is that my house is 5700 Sq ft....I know this isn't going to heat the house, I'm just hoping to reduce the $400 gas bill that comes every month. The m55 seems too big or to much output for the room that it will be going in to.

to my question: Is it better to run a bigger stove at half the potential or a smaller stove to it's fullest potential? thanks

Bigger for sure, I never really run my past the half way point, once or twice a week I will run it hot to clean it out a little but that is it. I am pretty sure the manufactures don't recommend running wide open for an extended period. Plus if you find a good way to move the heat around you may want a little more capacity.

pharmsaler said:
to my question: Is it better to run a bigger stove at half the potential? thanks

YES And you will be much happier with room at the top if there is a severe cold snap! Also add a programmable t-stat to even the house temps for you. Auto/Off in the shoulders and High/Low in the cold season.

I would strongly recommend the bigger stove. My insert is rated for 2400 square feet and my house is 1350. I never run the stove higher than setting 2. With a house as big as yours, you are going to want to have that extra ability when it gets real cold.

Another vote for getting a stove with a higher BTU rating and running at medium settings.

With a house that large, you should plan on fans for air circulation.

Regards,

Ranger

wow guys.. thanks for all the responses...we have ceiling fans in the great room where their are 20' ceilings and there is a huge cold air return in that room, that's how I am hopinairg to help circulate the air throughout the house by leaving the fan on the furnace run constant.

I have read the feedback on the M55 and it seems like a good choice to go with...unfortunately we don't qualify for the $1500 tax credit..well we do but already used it earlier in the year when we replaced the 2 gas furnaces and upgraded them to more efficient ones. nothing like spending $18k on heating appliances this year...hope it pays off in the long run

400 a month for 5700 sq ft ??? thats seems cheap, very cheap to me... 400 a month for 5700 sq ft..... i'd do that... but if you need the stove then the bigger the better

run it wide open all the time and size it large house you'll use less pellets you house you should get 2. mine is rated for 3600sqft and I'm heating 1800 wide open i use less pellets because my heat gain is greater than my heat loss. When i run it at half way point i use more pellets 1/4 to 1 bag more a day dependin on the outside temp.

Status
Not open for further replies.