Runaway temp

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

neumsky

Minister of Fire
Dec 25, 2011
Oklahoma City
Holy Crap...Batman... my temp(stove top) got to 650 today... the installers said that I probably got ash stuck in between the trap door & the stove. So I'm watching my temp maintain 650 and wondering if it was going to come down or not. Took my ash pan out...tapped on the bottom of the trap door to make sure it was shut. Temp started going down...in all honesty...can't tell if it was going down cause I tapped on that door or the wood started to burn out on it's own... Whew! What really bothered me is is I just got this thing yesterday! The guy who installed it...the owner of the store said that temp is up there...but not to be alarmed yet!

neumsky said:
Holy Crap...Batman... my temp(stove top) got to 650 today... the installers said that I probably got ash stuck in between the trap door & the stove. So I'm watching my temp maintain 650 and wondering if it was going to come down or not. Took my ash pan out...tapped on the bottom of the trap door to make sure it was shut. Temp started going down...in all honesty...can't tell if it was going down cause I tapped on that door or the wood started to burn out on it's own... Whew! What really bothered me is is I just got this thing yesterday! The guy who installed it...the owner of the store said that temp is up there...but not to be alarmed yet!

650 doesn't sound that bad to me to be honest. I regularly see 700 or so with my PE. I wouldn't worry too much, but keep an eye on it if your concerned. Better safe than sorry.

Hemlock...I appreciate that...what do you use to decipher temp on the top of the stove? Was hearing that some people install temp guages with probes (drilled) into the pipe to get a more accurate reading than the magnetic type? I've been told that could jeapordize the integrity of the pipe? As you can see in my signature...the only thing I have to decipher temp is the magnetic homesaver! So depending where I put it...top or pipe. I've been told that if I put it on my pipe(double walled ss CII) it should read about 1/2.

What does your manual say? Mine is regularly 600-650. I get a little concerned when it keeps climbing past 650. Though I assume you did your break on fires already and your stove is ready for the higher temps...

neumsky said:
Hemlock...I appreciate that...what do you use to decipher temp on the top of the stove? Was hearing that some people install temp guages with probes (drilled) into the pipe to get a more accurate reading than the magnetic type? I've been told that could jeapordize the integrity of the pipe? As you can see in my signature...the only thing I have to decipher temp is the magnetic homesaver! So depending where I put it...top or pipe. I've been told that if I put it on my pipe(double walled ss CII) it should read about 1/2.

Hello,
I have an IR thermometer that I use on the stove top. I also have a magnetic gauge on my double wall stove pipe as a quick reference, but as you say - because it is double wall, it doesn't tell the whole story. If you can get a good IR, they do a good job and you can use it anywhere.

Yeah..mfglickman...I did 2 last night...and than kinda ran it for a few hours this morning. The manual does not say anything about break in fires...but did it anyway. It's a PE Spectrum.

Home Depot has good IR's? I'll look into it.

So am I using the wrong temp guage on the stove top??? 650 is in the red on the guage.

Most of the magnetic thermos you find are marked for the stovepipe. Not a stove top. Go by the temperature and forget about the words. 650 is cruising territory for a steel stove.

oldspark said:
650 on a PE is just getting started.
Kinda what I was thinking too.

The Pacific cruises at 700F. No worries.

Regular thermo..... Condor(?) I believe, I'm not getting a flash light right now :) Mines posted over the upper right hand corner of the door.

Talk to me when it hits 1000 or so, then you might have an issue. You'll have a clean chimney at that point ;-P

That's good to know... So what kind are ya'll putting on the stove top?

Just checked my Jotul 550 and it was at 730' Hottest it has been in three years, slightly worried. Turned the damper all the way down and fan on high. I'll watch it for a while, before going to bed.

mcollect said:
Just checked my Jotul 550 and it was at 730' Hottest it has been in three years, slightly worried. Turned the damper all the way down and fan on high. I'll watch it for a while, before going to bed.

Nice to see a fellow member on here so close to home!!

lopiliberty said:
Nice to see a fellow member on here so close to home!!

Go outside. Look for the glow.

mc don't even think about going to bed before that puppy settles down.

Gonna say it again. Do every year and I get grief for it. A thermo on the front of an insert is gonna show you at least a hundred to a hundred and fifty degrees less than the top of the thing back there inside that surround is cooking at.

Proved it firing the crap out of my old insert out in the back yard and with the 30-NC that now sits in my fireplace with IR thermos and mag thermos.

Ok...I appreciate this info...but ya'll are referring to stove TOP temps or pipe temps???

mc just curious as to where you purchased your jotul. I only know of one place that sells them around here and I just wanted to make sure there isn't another hearth dealer out your way that I missed

neumsky said:
Ok...I appreciate this info...but ya'll are referring to stove TOP temps or pipe temps???
I am talking about stove top temps, 700 to 750 safe for a PE, a bump up to 800 wont damage the stove but I for the most part use 750 as the highest temp used on a regular basis and dont get there that often.

neumsky said:

Stove top temps.

It sounds like you have a willing pony there. Try turning down the air a little sooner next fire. How did you load the stove and with what kind of wood?

Ok...that helps...cause the manual...says don't get the flue temp to the point of turning it red. That's overtemping the stove. It does not refer to a temp limit! @ Begreen...it was 4-5 splits of Pecan & Oak. When the temp was getting to 500-550...I damped it down to low as it could go. That's when I called the owner/installer. BTW... he's been with the fire dept. for 35 years also and has been in the stove business for as long. He felt that the stove temp was up there but not to get alarmed yet. I moved that magnetic guage to the pipe. I would imagine that the top would be relative to what the pipe is saying? I stacked them N-S.

Status
Not open for further replies.