Running a England stove on a wall thermostat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The only "issue" with it coming on and off a lot is the "wear" on the ignitor, but since you have a year on the warranty, I wouldn't sweat it.

One thing you might want to check with Englander about, is whether or not your EP can be switched from On-Off to Lo-Hi. I know the owners manual only talks about On-Off, but check with Mike Holton at the service center anyway.

My 10-cpm was supposed to be On-Off only too, but a replacement control board (the original had a bad control button) came with both modes in the software.

Other than that, the thermostat is the way to go.

GrahamInVa said:
That would be nice to be able to switch from on-off to low-high. I'll check with Mike. How far away from the stove is your thermostat?

Mine is a Wireless Skytech, Its about 20-25 ft away. You can put the thermostat anywhere (5ft away) But your thermo temp will be at a much higher "Set-Point" if the thermostat is close to the stove.. (i.e.-- Set at 80*if its 5ft away from stove, Or to equal the same temp if the Thermostat was in an adjacent room, it would be set at 73* )...

GrahamInVa said:
..... How far away from the stove is your thermostat?
I'd make sure it's at least 10-15' (if possible).

Even more importantly, don't have it directly in front of the stove where the warm air would blow on it. Mine is around the corner of a wall in the kitchen about 15' away....works great.

Another option is a wireless unit, which Englander recommends.....then you can turn it on/off, change temp from different locations in the house. The most common brand is SkyTech....here's one on eBay that's brand new and about $70 cheaper than Amazon and FREE shipping:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Skytech-5301P-Fireplace-Remote-Control-/220804835709#vi-content

imacman, how can you tell if your 10-CPM (TimberRidge model) has the low/high thermostat ability?

Thanks!

sb81 said:
imacman, how can you tell if your 10-CPM (TimberRidge model) has the low/high thermostat ability?

Thanks!
This is the method my 10cpm uses to switch modes....try it with yours:

1. unplug, and then plug power back in.

2. within 5 seconds of plugging in, push BOTH down arrows at the same time. Either "0 - 0" or "H - L" will show up in the display......that is what the stove is set at.

3. To switch mode, press both down arrows again (again, within 5 seconds).

When the mode you want shows in the display, let the display go out....unit is ready to start.

If the above procedure doesn't result in O-O, or H-L, the stove doesn't have that capability.

If your talking about a different Englander stove, I'd contact Mike at Englander and ask.

I don't know if the 25-ep is different, but from what I understand about my 25-pdv, it doesn't actually turn the stove off, it adjusts the fan speed and feed rate (auger) to the lowest setting once the thermostat temperature is met. So, it shouldn't be any extra ignitor use, since it will likely need to run constantly to maintain any temperature.

Status
Not open for further replies.