Running grinder with inverter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Osage

Feeling the Heat
Nov 3, 2011
kansas
My PU has a 400 watt inverter on it. Was thinking about running my sharpening grinder with it while out cutting. The motor is a 280 watt. I know they have to have approx. twice the wattage to start. Not sure if 400 will start it. I tried it and seems to run a little slow. Anyone doing this?

motors usually arent too happy with a modified sine wave... what your inverter is probably putting out. Likely will work fine, but might get a bit hotter. Be gentle with it and its probably fine.

If the inverter doesnt trip the breaker/fuse when you start up the grinder, you are probably fine.

maverick06 said:
motors usually arent too happy with a modified sine wave... what your inverter is probably putting out. Likely will work fine, but might get a bit hotter. Be gentle with it and its probably fine.

If the inverter doesnt trip the breaker/fuse when you start up the grinder, you are probably fine.
+1

3 phase motors are fine with DV, a single phase motor is not?

Thanks guys, I think I will just sharpen at home.

Status
Not open for further replies.