running on low

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

IHATEPROPANE

Minister of Fire
Feb 24, 2011
NoPellettons, MA
I don't use my stove much on low. But when I do, it seems to almost go out, flare up , repeat.
Is that the norm?

Maybe i need a denser, longer burning pellet. If so, any recommendations?

When you say running it on low do you mean on setting 1?

The air/fuel mixture is frequently a smidge too high on stoves that are operated on their lower settings. A good number of stoves have some form of trim control and on your stove you have 3 settings in heat range 1, they are 1-, 1 , and 1+ the difference is on the fuel feed side.

You have no damper on that stove to tune the intake air with.

IHATEPROPANE said:
I don't use my stove much on low. But when I do, it seems to almost go out, flare up , repeat.
Is that the norm?

Maybe i need a denser, longer burning pellet. If so, any recommendations?

That's how my stove runs on low too. About twice a week I really crank it up just to burn off any junk that may have formed from the low burn. That's during the shoulders of the season. In winter it runs consistently.

Yes an air adjustment would be nice. This stove would be perfect it it had one. Maybe next time....hopefully a few years from now.

Does burning it on high clean out all the build up from the poor burning?

IHATEPROPANE said:
Yes an air adjustment would be nice. This stove would be perfect it it had one. Maybe next time....hopefully a few years from now.

Does burning it on high clean out all the build up from the poor burning?

It does with my Harman P43. Everything except the window glass anyway. I would think it would with your stove too. BTW I hate propane too. I bought the pellet stove because I was being drained of all my blood from the propane company.

I don't know how people afford propane. We moved into this house last November. November thru Jan we filled up 4 times at 450 each time. That was with the thermostat set at 60-62! If it was set at a comfortable 70 it probably would have cost double.

With pellets I figure 5 tons at roughly 250 a ton keeping my house 68-72 except for the far corners. Best thing I ever bought!

Status
Not open for further replies.