Running out burning Green white ash

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gzecc

Minister of Fire
Sep 24, 2008
NNJ
Just put in 2 green white ash splits and 5, 5+ year old oak splits in to the insert.
The white ash was split yesterday. Seems to be burning fine. Moisture meter showed 30%.
Must be true what is said about ash!

But you will notice a difference when you've seasoned the white ash.

I just cut up some pieces of standing dead maple to help fire a few more days. I don't think I have enough wood to last me a full week though, which is kind of depressing to me. Oh well, I'll just have to get that much further ahead next year.

ikessky said:
But you will notice a difference when you've seasoned the white ash.

I just cut up some pieces of standing dead maple to help fire a few more days. I don't think I have enough wood to last me a full week though, which is kind of depressing to me. Oh well, I'll just have to get that much further ahead next year.

I'm with you, about to run out. I saw a CL ad for green ash, thought about it, and came to the same conclusion you did - forget it and plan on not letting this happen again next year. My excuse is this is my first full year burning, so I wasn't sure exactly what I'd go through. Now I know its closer to 5 cords than 4.

J-Man said:
I'm with you, about to run out. I saw a CL ad for green ash, thought about it, and came to the same conclusion you did - forget it and plan on not letting this happen again next year. My excuse is this is my first full year burning, so I wasn't sure exactly what I'd go through. Now I know its closer to 5 cords than 4.
I'm a first year burner as well. I think I'm going to plan on having 7 cords on hand for next year.

.[/quote]
I'm a first year burner as well. I think I'm going to plan on having 7 cords on hand for next year.[/quote]

Exact same here!

Now double that guys so you'll have enough for the following year too. Once you burn 2 year old stuff, you'll never go back.

gzecc, if possible, split that ash quite small as it will help. I've said it before, but I once burned green ash for one entire winter and got along fine. I did have to clean the chimney a time or two extra but we stayed warm. Also, it will probably need just a tad bit of extra draft.

First season here too. Here's my approach after reviewing other posts. It seems to make perfect sence.

Spring 2009 - have 9 cord on hand. The plan is to burn 4 or 5 cord each burn season.
Spring 2010 - replenish what I burned. If I only burned 4, replace 4. If I burned 5, replace 5.
Spring 2011 - replenish what I burned.

The benefit here is once I get the cycle going, I'll be seasoning the wood 18 months by the time I use it and I'll always have enough seasoned wood on hand. This will happen in the 2010/2011 season.

Hey all I m out burning pallet wood 5 year old pine (Daugther had a stack they cut down It burns hat n fast . ) I will do better next year . JM

Status
Not open for further replies.