running power cord down fireplace ash door?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pur pony

Nov 1, 2011
Eastern CT
Looking to install a pellet insert into my fireplace. My fireplace has an ash door running to the basement for easy cleanout. Could I run the power cord down this and plug it in, in the basement for a nice clean install? Also looking at the Mt Vernon so I was thinking of also running a battery backup wire down there also with a deep cycle battery.

I would wire a wall switch upstairs cutting the power to the stove basement outlet .

Has anyone done this? Is there any drawbacks to this?

thanks a bunch

Sounds like a fine idea. It won't be close to any heat source and when you remove the stove you remove the cord so the fireplace is still usable and in tact. I ran a new outlet to the left of mine to plug into. Dropping it down through the back would provide a cleaner look. As long as there is nothing pinching the cord it should be fine.

I've done a NUMBER of inserts in a SIMILAR way with no issues, other than the building inspector couldn't tell me if it DID or DIDN'T meet code. We ran BX cable from a junction box in the basement thru the basement wall (just below the floor joists), into the ash dump & up thru the clean out door. We tapcon a metal junction box to the floor at the rear of the firebox to keep it as cool as possible.

I believe the NEC prohibits electrical cords of any type from passing thru floors and walls.
However it wouldn`t stop me from doing it in my own home if I thought it was reasonably safe. I am talking a well made cord and not the typical 16/18 gauage el-cheapo zip cord as normally seen on a table lamp or alarm clock.
Of course BX cable is pretty rugged stuff and a better choice.

Ive seen it done too, like Daksy has, but I dont like the idea. In a panic scenario, if you really want to shut the stove down, you cant do so without going downstairs

Ive seen it done too, like Daksy has, but I dont like the idea. In a panic scenario, if you really want to shut the stove down, you cant do so without going downstairs
Good point!

Status
Not open for further replies.