Running wire from house to shed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wahoowad

Minister of Fire
Dec 19, 2005
Virginia
I want to wire up a large shed in my backyard. Unfortunately the main circuit breaker for my house is on the opposite side of house. It is on the back of the house, just the far side from where I put the shed. I can't move the shed.

I plan to bury the cable (like I did when I wired my garage) going across the open part of the yard but am wondering what options I have for going from the house panel to the far corner before I go underground. I'm worried I won't be able to bury it running along the back of the house because of other plumbing and wiring running close to the foundation. I can run conduit along the lower part of my siding or along the concrete foundation, then go underground at the corner.

ApproximateLEE said:
Why not go through basement and staple to floor joists then drill hole through perimeter plate.
I'm in a similar boat, and that's exactly what I'm doing.

ApproximateLEE said:
Why not go through basement and staple to floor joists then drill hole through perimeter plate.

House is built on a slab, although I need to look and see if I can go up and into the roof/attic. Thanks!

in this area we have a company called
"dig safe" they come out and check the ground for you and mark everything... its usually free

wahoowad said:
ApproximateLEE said:

House is built on a slab, although I need to look and see if I can go up and into the roof/attic. Thanks!

MayB run under soffit.

2 bad U wern't closer , eye have miles of used 3/4 " condewit.

In your situation I always have run it in the attic and then down the outside wall to the trench. Always run the wire along or across the framing and staple properly. I've got several runs in my attic for this reason. Same thing for when you wire the whole house, they don't run those wires in the walls as much as above the ceiling.

Most areas have a locator service look in your phone book. J.U.L.I.E. is one name for it . The cable for burial is a little more but I like the idea of running and keeping the cable outside until you get to the panel location if it's not a much longer run. Going overhead or in conduit along the foundation are also options that would work fine. I think easiest and lowest cost would be my deciding factors.

I would also urge towards shortest / lowest cost run - remember that distance does matter in terms of current / voltage drop, so shorter is better...

Other thoughts...

1. Put the wire in a conduit, not just direct burial - makes it less prone to damage or "backhoe outages" and also makes any future repairs / upgrades easier. (go a bit oversize on the conduit for the same reason)

2. ALWAYS call "Dig-safe" or your equivalent, the number can be obtained from any of your utility companies, who WANT you to call them and use the free service... It is also required by law - the teeth in the requirement boils down to the idea that if you called and followed their instruction in regards to digging (hand tools only w/in 2' of the marks is the usual standard) any damage you do to stuff that they missed or failed to mark properly is on them, including if it causes damage to your or others property (i.e. a gas explosion) OTOH, if you didn't call, you are responsible for the repairs and any other damage... (at THEIR maximum billing rates, etc...)

3. Again in the name of "future proofing" consider dropping an extra conduit or two in order to be able to run low voltage (computer, TV, phone, etc) wiring and any other improvements (a water line? Compressed air line? Other stuff???? It is relatively cheap and easy to drop more stuff in an open trench, but it can be a pain to try adding it later....

Gooserider

Call 811 for digsafe in your area

definitely run it in a trench. if you decide to do something on your house in the future you'll save the headache and money to relocate the wire. when running your pipe definitely go the next size up and sometimes individual wires in side the pipe is cheaper and easier to pull than trying to run ser thru that pipe. what size panel do you want to run in the shed? and what size main service do you have in your house? how far will the pipe run be from where you service comes into your house to where the shed is? what are some of things that you'll be running? any heavy loads?

Status
Not open for further replies.