Rutland Thermometer

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lukem

Minister of Fire
Jan 12, 2010
Indiana
So I was at home (sick) today, and the temp was really warm so I let the stove go out. Anyway, when I got up the energy to build a fire I noticed the stove top temp was still reading 300*. When I laid my habd on the stove it was warm, not hot, felt good even.

So something is obviously wrong. I put the thermometer in a 400* oven and it read 600*. Turns out I've been lied to for a while now. Pretty frustrating.

Now I'm on the hunt for one that doesn't suck. Any recommendations?

Yea, I've had the same happen with 2 rutlands within just a few years.

I like the condar's better. They have a scale that isn't an average like rutland uses but rather is specific to the stove top or the stope pipe (if single wall) and a probe if using double wall.

I also have an IR thermometer and love it. I use it for WAY more than the stove. Haven't had a blondie or burnt pancake since the purchase. I keep the stove thermometers on the stove for a quick reference and for ease of operation for the wife if I'm away. When I want to double check things, the IR is only there.

If I could only have one thermometer for stove use, it would be an IR that can read to at least 1000 °F

pen

I like my Condar thermo . . . when I got my IR thermometer and shot the temp reading was very close in temp to the Condar.

The local Menard's stores used to carry rutlands...Now they have gone to a different brand. (Name escapes me...) Maybe now we know the reason?

Can't you just turn the nut on the dial to match a known temp? and then it will read reasonably close?

Thanks for the replies. I'll look for a condar. I like to be able to glance at it in passing, so I'll opt against the IR.

I bought it at Menards.

The indicator is riveted, not held on with a not, so there's no adjustment opportunity.

Status
Not open for further replies.