Safety alert. It's a good time to check your chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Huskurdu

Jun 10, 2008
Southwestern NY
I thought it would be good to check my Econoburn's chimney for creosote, so I pulled off the cap attached to the tee on the back of the boiler. I was lucky I didn't wait any longer! Almost the whole tee was plugged with 'dust'....it's what's left when the gasifier is burning properly. It's almost like sand. I would say I took out almost a cubic foot of the stuff (give or take)! The good news is, the chimney was almost totally clear from the tee on up. I just tapped on the pipe and a tiny bit of thin creosote fell down. Make sure you guys do a better job than I about keeping an eye on this. Just a watch out for you newbies like me.

I have had the same buildup on my EKO and I just checked it this morning again. I have cleaned out 2 fairly large build ups so now I am taking a look every couple of weeks.
Thanks for the reminder , mine is outside in a shed but if it was in the house and got a little more plugged it could be a killer.

Status
Not open for further replies.