Safety First

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Battenkiller

Minister of Fire
Nov 26, 2009
Just Outside the Blue Line
OK, some of you know I just got a new saw, Husky 357 XP. I've never owned anything more than a trim saw before, and to be honest, I never wore protective gear at all. It's been many years since I cut my own wood, and in that time I had the misfortune to learn about power tool safety the hard way when I caught a table saw kickback to the right eye that almost lost me the eye and has left me severely visually impaired. So given that, and the fact that there are now many expert and pro woodcutters on the internet, I want to pick the brains of some of you about saw safety and apparel.

I see some shots of guys using nothing (that won't be me, I'll be using a face shield and hearing protection at the very least), and some guys in full lumberjack regalia. What are the most likely saw related accidents and what causes them? How would each piece of gear protect me? Should I wear a full helmet, chaps and steel-toed boots just to buck logs? Kevlar gloves? Protective shirt?

I'm going to take this cutting stuff slow. No one to impress, and I'm to old to care about that crap. But I do want to get even older, so I'm taking the timid approach. I've always been leery of power tools anyway. Having worked in tool sales, I've seen my share of old timers with missing thumbs and eye patches. In the shop, I always go to hand tools when I can. I'd rather make a cut with a fine hand saw than use a power saw. But I ain't cutting through 18" logs with a Japanese dozuki saw, so I'll be forced to join the rest of you maniacs and use the baddest (statistically) cutter of all - the chainsaw. So I really want to understand how it bites, when it bites, why it bites.... and how to muzzle it.

for me I stay with the "safety chain" which lowers kick back and grabbing, although cuts slower
like you said I'm in no rush
safety glasses and good boots is what i cut in, I'm sure I could be safer
but working slowly is probably the biggest safety factor in my opinion

Battenkiller said:
OK, some of you know I just got a new saw, Husky 357 XP. I've never owned anything more than a trim saw before, and to be honest, I never wore protective gear at all. It's been many years since I cut my own wood, and in that time I had the misfortune to learn about power tool safety the hard way when I caught a table saw kickback to the right eye that almost lost me the eye and has left me severely visually impaired. So given that, and the fact that there are now many expert and pro woodcutters on the internet, I want to pick the brains of some of you about saw safety and apparel.

I see some shots of guys using nothing (that won't be me, I'll be using a face shield and hearing protection at the very least), and some guys in full lumberjack regalia. What are the most likely saw related accidents and what causes them? How would each piece of gear protect me? Should I wear a full helmet, chaps and steel-toed boots just to buck logs? Kevlar gloves? Protective shirt?

I'm going to take this cutting stuff slow. No one to impress, and I'm to old to care about that crap. But I do want to get even older, so I'm taking the timid approach. I've always been leery of power tools anyway. Having worked in tool sales, I've seen my share of old timers with missing thumbs and eye patches. In the shop, I always go to hand tools when I can. I'd rather make a cut with a fine hand saw than use a power saw. But I ain't cutting through 18" logs with a Japanese dozuki saw, so I'll be forced to join the rest of you maniacs and use the baddest (statistically) cutter of all - the chainsaw. So I really want to understand how it bites, when it bites, why it bites.... and how to muzzle it.

Hi Battenkiller;

I wear a orange shirt made for Stihl that has kevlar (they run small) in certain areas also the gloves, boots with kevlar and the chaps. I also wear the helmet with ear protection along with the shield.

This is a link for Labonville, they supplied our local shop with the boots I bought.

http://www.labonville.com/

boot link: http://www.labonville.com/shop/pc/viewCategories.asp?idCategory=243

zap

Are you dropping trees or just cutting stuff up on the ground? It seems most of the reported mishaps/injuries/fatalities are in the felling process, not to say that diligence isn't required no matter what you are doing with the saw. I think the NY Forest Land Owners group has a chainsaw class running this time of year.

I work pretty fast wearing chaps steele toe boots helmet and if brushing out higher than my waist a safty shirt and gloves. The fast part really comes in to play by the saw its self. Pro saws ran in top shape will produce a lot of wood. (the shirt really not used a whole lot but nice to have when needed)

smokinjay said:
I work pretty fast wearing chaps steele toe boots helmet and if brushing out higher than my waist a safty shirt and gloves.

Any preference in helmets? The Rockman all-in-one helmet looks good and cool with the vents on top, same for the Oregon. What's with the steel mesh face shields? How hard is it to see out of them? What kind of chaps should I get?

What's with chain brakes? Don't they work consistently? I always used to keep my hand firmly resting against the chain brake lever and assumed that would protect me, but I've never experienced a severe kickback. Can these things fail with catastrophic results? They have a table saw out that will stop within a few thousandths of a second when encountering flesh. You can shove a hot dog right into it and it will barely make a mark in the skin. Are chainsaws still so primitive that they haven't yet made a fail-safe chain brake?

I'll be mostly using the saw to buck up wood on the ground. I'll probably get a peavy and use blocks to get the wood off the ground a few inches. Some felling, but mostly small stuff I could almost do with a bow saw. I watched my landlord fell and cut up several small tress on my property, and I was turned off by how long it took to limb the damn things and dispose of the limbs. His helper was an experienced ex-tree service cutter, but it was a slow process for not much wood. I'd rather buy the logs, or get the stuff free from tree services. They're putting in some luxury estates down the road from me, and there are hundreds of logs lying on the ground. I'm going to stop in and ask what is happening with them. Bottom line, since I don't own a woodlot, I likely won't be felling too much.

Battenkiller said:
smokinjay said:
I work pretty fast wearing chaps steele toe boots helmet and if brushing out higher than my waist a safty shirt and gloves.

Any preference in helmets? The Rockman all-in-one helmet looks good and cool with the vents on top, same for the Oregon. What's with the steel mesh face shields? How hard is it to see out of them? What kind of chaps should I get?

What's with chain brakes? Don't they work consistently? I always used to keep my hand firmly resting against the chain brake lever and assumed that would protect me, but I've never experienced a severe kickback. Can these things fail with catastrophic results? They have a table saw out that will stop within a few thousandths of a second when encountering flesh. You can shove a hot dog right into it and it will barely make a mark in the skin. Are chainsaws still so primitive that they haven't yet made a fail-safe chain brake?

I'll be mostly using the saw to buck up wood on the ground. I'll probably get a peavy and use blocks to get the wood off the ground a few inches. Some felling, but mostly small stuff I could almost do with a bow saw. I watched my landlord fell and cut up several small tress on my property, and I was turned off by how long it took to limb the damn things and dispose of the limbs. His helper was an experienced ex-tree service cutter, but it was a slow process for not much wood. I'd rather buy the logs, or get the stuff free from tree services. They're putting in some luxury estates down the road from me, and there are hundreds of logs lying on the ground. I'm going to stop in and ask what is happening with them. Bottom line, since I don't own a woodlot, I likely won't be felling too much.

The sthil helmets or rockman are very good systems.

I personally know 3 people that have scars on their knees with plenty of little marks where the stitches were. Two of those USED to laugh at me for wearing chaps. Neither do - now.

Jags order of importance (and they are all important)

#1 - CHAPS
#2 - Gloves
#3 - Boots
#4 - All in one helmet (and or hearing/eye protection) - this will move up the scale if you are felling trees.

In addition you may consider a weight belt (I like the flexible ones)

Also:
A damn healthy understanding of what a razor sharp chain spinning at many thousands of RPMs will do to a squishy human.

A clear idea of leverage points and weight - and what those will do to a squishy human.

A clear understanding that YOU are the squishy human.

The only chainsaw-specific PPE I have is chaps. My sense is most likely chain contact when bucking would be lower leg unless I'm mistaken. Chaps are cheap insurance IMO.
Kickback is also a real danger when bucking logs in a pile as bar nose can hit another log on the far side.
I limbing & cutting-up small stuff that's always moving around feels the most dangerous. I prob am doing it all wrong.
I use steel-toe boots, glasses, ear-plugs, leather gloves & occasionally a hardhat (for felling) from my regular work. I see the convenience & protection of an all-in-one helmet & may get one eventually, but I'm curios about gloves. Regular leather obviously no use on a spinning chain, but I honestly don't see chain hitting my hand as a likely scenerio. How does it happen & what gloves are of use?

midwestcoast said:
The only chainsaw-specific PPE I have is chaps. My sense is most likely chain contact when bucking would be lower leg unless I'm mistaken. Chaps are cheap insurance IMO.
Kickback is also a real danger when bucking logs in a pile as bar nose can hit another log on the far side.
I limbing & cutting-up small stuff that's always moving around feels the most dangerous. I prob am doing it all wrong.
I use steel-toe boots, glasses, ear-plugs, leather gloves & occasionally a hardhat (for felling) from my regular work. I see the convenience & protection of an all-in-one helmet & may get one eventually, but I'm curios about gloves. Regular leather obviously no use on a spinning chain, but I honestly don't see chain hitting my hand as a likely scenerio. How does it happen & what gloves are of use?

A link for the gloves.

http://www.husqvarna.com/us/landown...d-clothes/gloves/chain-saw-protective-gloves/

Zap

I use chaps, and Helmet system.

I quit when I'm getting tired or any other likely distraction presents.

I also keep cell phone handy, and let someone know where I am....

Steel toe boots and protective chaps are a must. Gloves are a preference thing, but generally a good idea. Eye and ear protection are essential. Whether you go further - helmet/face shield, protective shirt, protective gloves, etc. - that's your call and depends largely on what you're doing and where. Felling blowdowns, wear a helmet. Cutting up straight logs that are piled in your yard, skip the helmet.

I think that eyes, ears, legs, and toes are where most of the problems are going to occur for most firewood cutters.

Keep your equipment running right, starting/idling properly, with a sharp chain, and you will be less prone to stupid injuries or cutting safety corners to keep your equipment going. Don't work when you're tired, dehydrated, or when your head isn't in it.

That's my 2c.

I've got to disagree with those who say PPE for the head (helmet/eyes/ears) isn't the first thing to have.

One thing I don't see many people mention is in regard to hearing loss. Using a chainsaw (or splitter, for that matter) will, over time, result in a loss of hearing.

My father, who worked in the construction trades for many years, put it very well - "Hearing loss is cumulative and permanent!"

Get one of the helmet "packages" (helmet, face shield, head phones). A great thing about them is that the face shield removes any worries about goggles fogging up. You can get the Stihl or Husky ones for under $50.

From there, I'd go with chaps and then boots and they gloves.

Spikem said:
I've got to disagree with those who say PPE for the head (helmet/eyes/ears) isn't the first thing to have.

I agree that hearing loss is a serious issue, but you don't die from it. You die from blood loss, or blunt trauma (off course that gives argument to the helmet)

Jags said:
Spikem said:

I agree that hearing loss is a serious issue, but you don't die from it. You die from blood loss, or blunt trauma (off course that gives argument to the helmet)

If you cannot see what you're cutting, due to chips in the face, it's QUITE easy to cut your leg off so I guess I would agree with you.

Spikem said:
Jags said:
Spikem said:

If you cannot see what you're cutting, due to chips in the face, it's QUITE easy to cut your leg off so I guess I would agree with you.

Eyes ears and head are all over rated. lol when really windy the face shield are worthless I will run with goggles under the face shield as well.

If you are mainly bucking logs in the driveway you may want to build a sawhorse for the smaller logs. I built this neat H style that holds alot of logs at once and is a big safety device. It holds the logs and keeps them from rolling around. You can also cut several the same size at once. The biggest pain with logs on the ground is you have to keep rolling them so you do not hit the dirt. Once you hit the dirt, your chain is dull. With big logs you have no choice, after awhile you learn to watch for the log starting to pinch in, then you either have to cut from the bottom (if ther is a gap underneath) or roll it, or use wedges to keep it from pinching.

I use a Stihl helmet, and it is really comfortable and adjustable. I use labonville chaps (admittedly I do not use them all the time). I just use comfortable gloves and sometimes I use the steel toe shoes. I have heard that most accidents actually occur from taking off the branches. I could see that because you can fall, they are often under tension (have a spring like effect). The biggest pain is when you get a saw stuck in the wood, then you have to either have another saw, equipment, come along, etc.

Attachments

• sawbuck1.jpg
    sawbuck1.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 167
  • sawbuck2.jpg
    sawbuck2.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 177
Status
Not open for further replies.