Safety question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bluedogz

Minister of Fire
Oct 9, 2011
NE Maryland
The events of this holiday weekend (house fire in CT) made me think about one of my own practices.

My Sierra has no ash drawer or anything like that. Normally, when I clean out the ashes, the stove has been cold for 24 hours. I shovel everything into a galvanized stable bucket I got at TSC, and set it on the brick hearth. When the bucket gets full (2-3 cleanings at least) I take it all out by the woodpile and dump it in the woods.

Other info:
Smoke detectors: yes x3, probably need more
Fire bottles: yes x3

I guess my question is, what is the difference between an "ash bucket" and any other metal bucket, other than about $40?

Does your bucket have a lid? Probably not real important safety-wise, CO would escape anyways.

Since you're askin, I didn't see your CO detectors listed...

I purchased an ash pail at lowes. The description had on it for use with fireplace ash. Some things I was looking for were a lip running around the base of the pail so the bottom of the pail is recessed off the ground. it also has a locking lid via the handle. I would not just dump it into the woods.. It is large enough for a few weeks of ash, so I dumped it yesterday into my garden while it was raining. Ash can insulate any coals/embers that very well could be hot enough to start a fire.

Indeed, I have no lid. Just a steel bucket. It's 'recessed' off the ground with a lip on the bottom.

Guess I should go find a lid.

Oh, yeah... 2 CO units, but I've never tested them. TBH, don't really know how.

Backwoods said:
I purchased an ash pail at lowes. The description had on it for use with fireplace ash. Some things I was looking for were a lip running around the base of the pail so the bottom of the pail is recessed off the ground. it also has a locking lid via the handle. I would not just dump it into the woods.. It is large enough for a few weeks of ash, so I dumped it yesterday into my garden while it was raining. Ash can insulate any coals/embers that very well could be hot enough to start a fire.

+1 on the difference between a proper ash bucket and a regular ol' bucket . . . you can find these cheaper than $40 though since many hardware stores sell very similarly built products.

The key for me is to bring the ash outside on a non-combustible surface (i.e. not the wooden deck or porch) and then after a few days I am comfortable in dumping the ash in the woods or during this time of year (normally) on the driveway for the added traction and ice/snow melting action. I would not be comfortable just leaving an ash pail on my hearth . . . for the possible CO issues or the chance that the cats (or more likely my own klutzy self) would knock it over . . . creating a possible fire hazard at worse and a heckuva mess that would get me in hot water with Mrs. Firefighterjake at best.

Definitely be as careful where you dump the ashes as you are when you clean the stove. There have been many fires started when a hot ember from ashes lit some leaves on fire. Those fires can spread and do serious damage.

bluedogz said:
The events of this holiday weekend (house fire in CT) made me think about one of my own practices.

My Sierra has no ash drawer or anything like that. Normally, when I clean out the ashes, the stove has been cold for 24 hours. I shovel everything into a galvanized stable bucket I got at TSC, and set it on the brick hearth. When the bucket gets full (2-3 cleanings at least) I take it all out by the woodpile and dump it in the woods.

Other info:
Smoke detectors: yes x3, probably need more
Fire bottles: yes x3

I guess my question is, what is the difference between an "ash bucket" and any other metal bucket, other than about $40?

bluedogz, is there a reason you want until the stove has been cold for 24 hours before emptying the ashes? For sure we could never do this as the wood stove is our only source of heat. We just wait until the stove is down to coals and then empty ashes and this is from 4 days to 2 weeks normally. We just shove the hot coals to one side, scoop out some ash then move the coals to the other side and finish the cleaning, being sure to leave 1-2" of ash on the bottom of the stove.

Blue,
Get an actual ash bucket with lid, and take outside of the house. Rest on non combustible surface! Not the deck, not even in the ash can.
You don't have to wait for a cold stove to scoop ash out, just don't leave the can on the heart or in the house. Even after 24hrs, there might be embers in there.

I'll second or third the idea that you should store the ash outside away from the house. Ash/charcoal in the bucket can produce CO, and the can can get pretty hot. I place my ash bucket on the always-moist lawn a couple of feet from the back deck.

Yup, what hog said!

Get a bucket with a lid and keep it outside. DON'T put it on a wooden deck.

-SF

My ash can sits tucked in a corner on the hearth, until it's almost full ( has a lid), then out side it goes to sit on a cement block until I can empty it. Usually in the driveway or a flower bed.

Never leave it on a combustible surface.

Interesting...some folks want the hot ashes outside to avoid CO, others are ok with hot ashes/embers putting some CO into their house. I would go with the first group.

Also, I've heard of some folks (smokers) testing their CO detectors by blowing smoke into them!

Backwoods Savage said:
[bluedogz, is there a reason you want until the stove has been cold for 24 hours before emptying the ashes?

Yes. I am on the road 5-6 days a week for work & school. My tool of choice when it gets cold is the maul, but my wife's is the thermostat. As a result, the stove often goes cold for a couple days at a time.

We're working on this... the new liner and good wood make the Sierra WAY easier to start, which was Mrs. Blue's main complaint.

Status
Not open for further replies.