Safety tip, Prep for winter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bogydave

Minister of Fire
Dec 4, 2009
So Cent ALASKA
I was rotating my tires & decided to check the air pressure.
It's been in the 20s at night,
All 4 tires were low pressure & a few lug nuts were loose (not bad loose, but loose).
Hot & cold temps, Air & metal expands & contract, it can loosen
lug nuts & tire air pressure may be low.

**Time to check tire pressure & lug nut tightness**

Curious: how many will find the same thing?

Oh yes! I have come across this with all of my auto's. And I will check them again when it gets real cold.

I will see this on hundred plussssss atous this year. but prob once again never get around to my own vehicles :red:

I checked the tire pressure on both vehicles two weeks ago...it was down on each.

That is something that needs to be done more than once per year. Thanks for the reminder Dave.

good reminder, I check mine fairly regularly. Not to highjack the thread, but what are others' thoughts on tire pressure?
Rather than use the recommended tire pressure shown on the sticker on the door jam, which I think is at the low end,
I like to go more towards the high end of the psi shown on the tire sidewall. I think it gives better mpg, doesn't seem to affect ride all that much,
tire wear is even.

I tow a boat and a utility trailer on a somewhat regular basis, so think the higher pressure is warranted, rather keep it there than inflate/deflate.

Adkjake said:
good reminder, I check mine fairly regularly. Not to highjack the thread, but what are others' thoughts on tire pressure?
Rather than use the recommended tire pressure shown on the sticker on the door jam, which I think is at the low end,
I like to go more towards the high end of the psi shown on the tire sidewall. I think it gives better mpg, doesn't seem to affect ride all that much,
tire wear is even.

I tow a boat and a utility trailer on a somewhat regular basis, so think the higher pressure is warranted, rather keep it there than inflate/deflate.
every automotive forum I've ever been on argues this one, but a majority of the people end up agreeing that you should run a little higher than what the door jam says. years ago I just decided that I would look at the max on the tire, and the door jam of the vehicle and pick a little higher than the middle. My Honda says 29psi on the door and the max of the tires is 44. I run about 38. Midway would have been 36.5

My front ones will be low, because I recently got new tires and the front ones seem to have a slow bead leak. :-S

I started adding a few PSI on top of the door sticker also, my mileage did go up a little although the ride was noticeably harder. To me the biggest benefit is that if I forget to check them for a while this gives me an extra cushion. When I would just fill them to 35 per the door, I might not remember to check them until they were at 30 or even 25psi. Predictable result was that the edges wore quicker. So now I fill to 38-40.

I had it drilled into my head at an early age that whenever you get gas, you check your oil and tire pressure. I slacked on this until I had a tire blow out on me. Fortunately it was right in front of a fire station. Best way to get a tire change EVER. 1. Stand outside your car. 2. Wait for cute firefighters to come out and change your tire for you. ;) (I DO know how, it was just the first time I'd had to change a tire on my new car and the jack wasn't in it's cubbyhole so I had to rummage through the trunk for it. Also I have to jump with both feet on the tire iron to even begin to budge a lugnut and it's a pain in the booty.)

I didn't even know they put PSI on the door jambs, I always go by the tire wall. I once had a tire place, maybe a week after we got new tires on the car, tell me that the reason the tire failed was because it was low on air pressure. First of all, I would have noticed when I drove the car if the air pressure was THAT low. Secondly, I checked the pressure the day before and it was fine. Thirdly, A TIRE'S AIR PRESSURE SHOULD LONGER THAN THAT, HELLO. Nice try, find some other sucker to screw out of YOUR warranty.

~Rose

RoseRedHoofbeats said:
...Best way to get a tire change EVER. 1. Stand outside your car. 2. Wait for cute firefighters to come out and change your tire for you. ;) ...
~Rose
Just trying to picture how this would work for some of the big burly men on this forum. I think Jake will probably back me up on the statement that he'd never dash out to HELP Quads (for example), but he'd gladly stand around and watch him do it and maybe tell him he's doing it wrong. lol

I had always used the door jamb number but recently decided to go closer to the tire max and now have the car and truck at 40 psi. I usually get 10-12 mpg on the truck with a record high of 15 mpg but since the change, have been up to 17 on the highway and am also getting over 2 mpg more on the car and saw over 40 mpg on my last 2 tanks. The tide is definitely rougher but is worth it.

Danno77 said:
RoseRedHoofbeats said:
...Best way to get a tire change EVER. 1. Stand outside your car. 2. Wait for cute firefighters to come out and change your tire for you. ;) ...
~Rose
Just trying to picture how this would work for some of the big burly men on this forum. I think Jake will probably back me up on the statement that he'd never dash out to HELP Quads (for example), but he'd gladly stand around and watch him do it and maybe tell him he's doing it wrong. lol

Well, true, but one assumes you guys have the advantage of not having to jump up and down on the tire iron to even START to budge one. It's a very good way to twist your ankles, let me tell you. =P

~Rose

Buy a 4-way lug wrench at Sears, then you can use both hands and get way better leverage. The tiny one that came with my truck is useless.

Also, make sure you actually have a good quality tire pressure gauge. Just looking at your tires isn't good enough...the tires on my truck had to lose 60psi before it was noticable to my eye that the tire was low.

Tire pressure can especially be a problem if you have two complete sets of wheels and tires. Over the course of a couple years the tiny bit of moisture in compressed outside air in your tires can slowly corrode the inside of your wheels. My wife's Audi just had a flat last week because of this. This is probably the ONLY viable reason to fill your tires with nitrogen INHO.

Danno77 said:
RoseRedHoofbeats said:
~Rose

Hmmm . . . I'm just big . . . no burliness involved. ;) :)

And for the record, I like Quads . . . I'd help him . . . heck . . . I'd help out just about anyone . . . but it definitely helps to be cute and a member of the opposite sex. ;)

Newer vehicles with Tire pressure monitors in the wheels will mess with you if you start inflating to specs on the tires. They are set with the manufacturs spec. Just posting from my experience.

Deere10 said:
Newer vehicles with Tire pressure monitors in the wheels will mess with you if you start inflating to specs on the tires. They are set with the manufacturs spec. Just posting from my experience.

I got one of those. 06 Toy
That was 1 of the reasons i checked the tires pressures. Tire pressure light cam on.
Tire pressure light is still on.
I'm thinking the battery or valve-stem sending unit is bad.
Gonna read the manual & figure out what to do next.

bogydave said:
Deere10 said:

That was 1 of the reasons i checked the tires pressures. Tire pressure light cam on.

Did you check the pressure in the spare? Most likely it has a sensor too.

festerw said:
bogydave said:
Deere10 said:

Did you check the pressure in the spare? Most likely it has a sensor too.

No, But I will now.
Good catch.
Thanks

I had the same thing happen. Low tire pressure came on in my Ford E-350. It turned out to be the spare tire that was low. But I guess it was good because it reminded me to check all my tires now that its getting cold outside.

I am going to add theswe to my ToDo list for Daylight savingstime weekend.......thanks

1) check the anti freeze in all vehicles
2) check tire pressure and lug touque
3) Batteries in the smoke detectors
4) drain the cr4ap out of the bottom of the home water heater tank.
5) disconnect the outside garden hoses Especially the frost free bibs

Okay, this one hit a nerve!

No, I'm not going to stand here and lecture anyone, but I'm just going to state the facts!

Yes, you can go with the max listed on the tire sidewall, but this is listed on the sidewall as an absolute max pressure for safety when hauling max loads. Will it give you slightly better MPG? Sure, because a harder tire doesn't deflect as much so the rolling resistance is thereby lower. This can also be a negative from a safety perspective- see below. For "normal" loads, the manufacturer's specs on the door jamb, glove box door, or fuel door should be followed. So, when hauling max loads set them at the max on the tire sidewall, but when you're done with that task, put 'em back to the factory recommended pressures.

Here's why:

The vehicle manufacturers test their vehicles under various conditions, both on and off skid pads, and on both on wet and dry road surfaces, AND under all modes of braking: hard, soft and panic conditions. All manner of driving manuvers are made under the aforementioned conditions, and the bottom line is to optimize the vehicles traction performance by constantly adjusting the tire pressures until the best overall performance is obtained. This is done to optimize vehicle safety!, which is the primary concern! This takes priority over MPG. Vehicle manufacturers have learned this the hard way, through the school of hard knocks, law suits, and lost lives, so heed the warnings and put vehicle safety first!

So, the bottom line is that while inflating your tires over the manufacturers recommendations will yield better MPGs, you compromise tire adhesion, and thereby vehicular safety, especially under wet road conditions.

While there may be a million differing opinions on the matter, these are the bottom line facts. The OEM's would not go through the hassle of testing their vehicles under all these conditions to optimize their tire adhesion performance through the adjustment of tire pressures, especially if there was not a benefit to be gained by doing so. That benefit is better handling performance through better tire adhesion, which ultimately equates to better vehicular safety! It's not only your life that's at stake, but everyones! Follow the OEM recommendations, please!

With respect to checking tire pressures, they should be checked at every oil change, or every couple of months, whichever comes first! Some even recommend monthly! The NUMBER 1 cause of tire failure is underinflation. This causes tires to overheat and fail. Underinflation is caused most often by not maintaining your tires, which means not checking and adjusting the pressures at regular intervals. If you do your oil changes at the factory recommended intervals or even better yet, sooner, and you check your tire pressures at this time also, you should be just fine. Oil changes however are a whole different issue ripe for debate as well. Here again, the facts stand on their own, and heresay and ignorance of the facts, create all kinds of urban legends here too.

You can't go wrong following the factory recommendations. Think about it: When the car is under warranty if you follow the factory recommended service intervals and you have a problem, they pay! If the factory recommended service intervals were not adequate, they would still have to pay, and there would be more failures to pay for because the inadequate service would hasten these failures. So, the factory will recommend service maintenance intervals to protect their own interests by limiting failures induced by inadequate maintenance. This means they will err on the side of more frequent maintenance, to extend the longevity of their products, which reduces their warranty costs!

Happy Motoring! ;-)

ProfessorGT: I agree with you. The weird thing is, on my Ford E-350, the recommended tire pressure is 60 PSI in the front tires and then 80 PSI for the rear tires and the spare. But if you look at the tires themselves, their max pressure says 80PSI. Plus it is enforced to be within 20 PSI or so by the tire pressure monitoring system.

I've never had a vehicle before where the recommended matched the max pressure. Kind of strange but I guess the manufacturer has tested it all out.

Status
Not open for further replies.