Sandy keep giving and giving and....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

save$

Minister of Fire
Sep 22, 2008
Chelsea Maine
Looks like we start with winds up to 60-70 mph tomorrow, then it just keeps blowing day after day
image.jpg

I seen earlier this morning that NYC's mass transit system will be shut down tonight until further notice for safety.Even have a high wave warning for the lakes around Chicago as a result of the storm.

7.7 earthquake last night on Queen Charlotte island in British Columbia,Canada.Tsunami warning for Hawaii overnight,that was downgraded to an advisory about 6 hrs ago.

http://news.yahoo.com/magnitude-7-7-earthquake-hits-canadas-british-columbia-032417518.html

Well, those TV maps are made to scare folks......
Here it is right from the NHC - we are outside the cone until well after it changes to a tropical storm.....the only place we then enter is when it is a depression, which is certainly a weather event but nothing earth shattering (hopefully!).

Screen shot 2012-10-28 at 6.29.08 PM.png

I think a lot of the warnings come from past experiences where people poo poo the warning only this time get "in over their heads" and want others to risk their lives trying to save them from their bad judgement.
I would rather be over cautious every time than mess up once and put some one else in harms way when it was avoidable.
You can't control nature anymore than you can be sure how severe these storms will be.
If it falls apart and all for nothing, all the better!

Good luck and stay safe to all those in the main path. Better to be safe than sorry. Fortunately, we are only supposed to get the remnants later this week.

I dont think folks realize the effects this storm is going to have, it being so wide spread and merging with 2 other systems .We live in western NC. and its windy here about 20-25 MPH just from thee outer bands. this storm aka sandy will go down as one of the greatest storms ever to hit the east coast. My prayers are with you all ! be safe. everyone. Up there.

Reactions: ScotO
Well, those TV maps are made to scare folks......
Here it is right from the NHC - we are outside the cone until well after it changes to a tropical storm.....the only place we then enter is when it is a depression, which is certainly a weather event but nothing earth shattering (hopefully!).

View attachment 79047
I wish they had done a better job at scaring folks. Dumb ones still waited it out and had to be rescued by others putting their lives in harm's way. Looked earth shattering to me.

I wish they had done a better job at scaring folks. Dumb ones still waited it out and had to be rescued by others putting their lives in harm's way. Looked earth shattering to me.

Doesn't matter what folks had said . . . or not said . . . you cannot fix stupidity. I'm only glad that some politician had enough sense at one point to step up to the plate and suspend emergency rescue operations at a certain point in the night to avoid any loss of life to the emergency responders . . . I mean as an emergency responder myself I realize that we may be asked to risk our own life and limb at times . . . but there is also such a thing as folks taking some personal responsibility and heeding warnings.

Reactions: zap
Doesn't matter what folks had said . . . or not said . . . you cannot fix stupidity. I'm only glad that some politician had enough sense at one point to step up to the plate and suspend emergency rescue operations at a certain point in the night to avoid any loss of life to the emergency responders . . . I mean as an emergency responder myself I realize that we may be asked to risk our own life and limb at times . . . but there is also such a thing as folks taking some personal responsibility and heeding warnings.
Couldn't agree more with you Jake! I use to plow the main highways for DOT double wing plow, one person ,,, when the visibility became so bad at times, you were better off not moving anymore verses running into a stranded car you couldn't see with all that iron down. You don't want to become another person now needing to be rescued. You right ,, in dangerous situations people need to listen, stay off the roads and seek a safe haven. Thanks for what you do! You must experience some beyond words ,,, personal satisfaction helping people at times.

Couldn't agree more with you Jake! I use to plow the main highways for DOT double wing plow, one person ,,, when the visibility became so bad at times, you were better off not moving anymore verses running into a stranded car you couldn't see with all that iron down. You don't want to become another person now needing to be rescued. You right ,, in dangerous situations people need to listen, stay off the roads and seek a safe haven. Thanks for what you do! You must experience some beyond words ,,, personal satisfaction helping people at times.

Thanks for the kind words, but honestly what I think is that there are a helluva lot other people out there who deserve a more heart-felt thanks than us firefighters . . . I mean to say, we appreciate the thanks . . . but really it's the unsung heroes out there day in and day out who rarely get thanked or appreciated for what they do.

It's the teachers who educate kids about important fire and life safety lessons . .. while at the same time managing to somehow teach 101 other important or mandatory things. Without teachers educating kids about what emergency number to call, or what to do in case of a fire there would be a lot more injured children.

It's the electrical linesmen who respond right away in miserable conditions to cut power to a house or to the car with wires on it. Without that linesman there could be a lot of injured firefighters.

It's that nurse and other team of healthcare professionals who take over the care of the patient whom we have stablized and then continue to successfully treat that patient so he or she can make a full recovery. Without those healthcare providers our paramedics could only do so much and far more people would not recover or recover as well.

It's even that New York DOT worker plowing snow so that the emergency responders can get to the scene of a fire or accident . . . that one guy who probably works day in and day out just "doing his job" like every other person . . . that one guy who probably gets swore at when there's a line of cars backed up behind him a half mile long . . .

Sure, firefighters, paramedics and law enforcement officers get a lot of the glory -- and don't get me wrong -- sometimes it is deserved . . . but there are just as many folks out there who aren't thanked and without them the outcome for a lot of folks would definitely not be good.

Ugh. Sucks big time.

Status
Not open for further replies.