sassafrass

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Occo370

Jan 23, 2010
Jersey Shore
i know its not spelt correct... but how is it to burn?

it burns fairly quickly. i burned some that i cut last spring. i have more but its not anything i wood seek after.

mixed feelings on it, I have alot. It burns hot, burns fast, pops alot, very light wood, easy to split, low in btus, some people claim it actually helps keep the chimney clean. Sometimes I think it just smolders. One of my least favorite woods, but it is nice that it is low in moisture content and you can feel like a hee man when you split it.

one of the tree companies that hooks me up called this morning... they said they had an oak and a sass for me at the same location..... ill take both either way.. oak is great any other free wood is good... in my opinion.. thanks for the input..

I like sniffing the twigs for the fruit loop smell. The 3 types of leaves are cool too.

Matt

the roots smell even better, you can make sassafras tea out of them. although some theory that it may not be good for you.

When it dries, it seems to be among the lightest woods that grow around here. I like the smell, and it is easy to split.

Had a huge one cut down last year,,,I think it was more fun to split then burn. Wouldnt go out of my way for it,,,but if its free,,thats another story..!!

I just love cutting sassafras! The sweetest smelling wood there is. We also use them for posts if we can find one that is straight. They last for many years before rotting.....and this is without treating them. Just plant them into the ground.

Around here sassafrass seems to rot rather quickly, must be a regional thing.
I have never done this but I have a friend that swears that sassafrass is the best wood for the smoker.

That's interesting gandrimp. Around here it does not rot that fast unless it is just laying on the ground. We've used plenty of them for fence posts and even posts for the laundry lines.

I don't doubt that sassafras would be good in a smoker.

It's the "Secret Ingredient" for the most popular barbecue joint in my area. He mixes in about 1/3 sas with 2/3 shagbark hickory and sells more meat than the other 10-12 joints combined.

Wood Duck said:
When it dries, it seems to be among the lightest woods that grow around here. I like the smell, and it is easy to split.
Agreed. I've burned quite a bit in my smoke dragon OWB. Use it mostly in the shoulder seasons as it burns up quick. Very light and easy to split. The wood just pops in half when I'm splitting. Will rot quickly if on the ground.

Status
Not open for further replies.