Saurkraut

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Moving to DIY area... I suspect that you will find Google is Your Friend on this one - my standard practice when I'm making something is to Google for it, and have always ended up with huge numbers of recipes... I'd then go through and find the "common themes" and create something based on those... It has worked for me quite consistently.

I've never done 'Kraut, but my understanding is that it works best with fairly large batches several gallons at a time. You might want to try either growing your own, or waiting until cabbage is in season locally in order to keep the costs reasonable.

Gooserider

I've already googled, but it's always nice to find a person who has experience making it if questions arise. I'n going to pick up a few heads of cabbage tonight just to see if it's something I really want to do. There is definitely a theme in the recipes, I just don't want to spend a few weeks making something that will taste like crap.

Matt

I kinda remember making a few batches with my grandfather. We took the cabbage, shredded it into small strips, and started layering with kosher salt in a large (10 gal maybe?) crock. Little cabbage, little salt, little tamping down with a 2x4, repeat. Then was the waiting time. A large flat rock placed on top of a layer of cheesecloth, and skimming off the scum from the top over the weeks of waiting. Not much too it, but I don't recall how good it turned out. Maybe check out the Foxfire books?

My_3_Girls said:
I kinda remember making a few batches with my grandfather. We took the cabbage, shredded it into small strips, and started layering with kosher salt in a large (10 gal maybe?) crock. Little cabbage, little salt, little tamping down with a 2x4, repeat. Then was the waiting time. A large flat rock placed on top of a layer of cheesecloth, and skimming off the scum from the top over the weeks of waiting. Not much too it, but I don't recall how good it turned out. Maybe check out the Foxfire books?
thats pretty much how I remember it but instead of a rock it was a large plate with a 1/2 gal. jar full of water. cant think of how long the wait was put tasted alot better than the junk from the store. :wow:

<> I just don't want to spend a few weeks making something that will taste like crap.<>

Then why don't you make something other than Sauerkraut? :-/

Sucker for punishment I guess.

I put about 4 1/2 lbs of cabbage in an old crock pot (Only wide mouthed container I have that a plate fits tightly in) along with kosher salt, some carroway seeds and raisons. I'll post back as it ferments!

Matt

Matt - I am a late comer to this discussion, but I also make 100 pounds of the stuff every two years. My-3-girls pretty much laid it out. Keep in mind that the plate/rock/crock that you use for weight does NOT want to be a tight fit. It NEEDS to breath.

Get a cabbage shredder. We still use my great grandfathers (as well as crock). When tamping down, you really need to "bruise" the cabbage as well as pack and rid of air bubbles. With each layer, tamp it until it gets a sloppy, mushy sound.

Layer the top with reserved cabbage leaves and cheese cloth before weighting it down.

During harvest, be aware that the top is junk. Keep removing the nasty stuff until you get to the nice clean stuff. Bag and tag and freeze. We do NOT add anything but cabbage and salt because the other additions can be made during cooking if you wanted it. Gives more options.

This is the best stuff you will get. No can or bag from the store will compare.

Hope this helps.

I don't make it, but with a last name like Reinhardt, you can bet I eat it. when you make some and you need someone to test it for you, send it my way....

The cabbage has been in the crock for, I think, 2 days now. I bruised the cabbage layer by layer with a potato masher. By the time I was done there wasn't anything but a mushy sound when the masher compressed the cabbage. I was shocked at how fast the water came out of it. My plate is has about 1/8" on all sides so it isn't a tight fit.

How do you skim the yeast off the top?

Matt

EatenByLimestone said:
The cabbage has been in the crock for, I think, 2 days now. I bruised the cabbage layer by layer with a potato masher. By the time I was done there wasn't anything but a mushy sound when the masher compressed the cabbage. I was shocked at how fast the water came out of it. My plate is has about 1/8" on all sides so it isn't a tight fit.

How do you skim the yeast off the top?

Matt

Big spoon. Don't get too excited about skimming the top off yet. 2 days ain't even scratching the surface. As a matter of fact, don't worry about it unless it looks like its going to go over the top. As the process continues, the water production will lessen, sometimes to the point that you may have to ADD a little water by the end of the process. Keep in mind that this was darn near a hands off process in the old days.

I made my first batch ever this year. I just sliced the cabbage and added rock salt ( I think 1 tablespoon per 5 lbs cabbage ) packed it in a glass jar and let it sit. After 4-5 weeks me and my son started eating it. It was the best sauerkraut we ever had.
I never had it frozen, does it keep it's crunchy texture after you defrost it ?

Hurricane said:
I never had it frozen, does it keep it's crunchy texture after you defrost it ?

Yep - although not like fresh from the jar, but I usually am cooking it with some sort of pork product, so after the cooking session it basically has the same texture as fresh/cooked or frozen/cooked.

Damn! I need to do this. I have a big corned beef I'm whittling at this week that would love some of that, russian dressing, rye bread, swiss cheese...

maybe I'll make myself a 10 gallon crock and the right sized plate....

Adios Pantalones said:
I have a big corned beef I'm whittling at this week that would love some of that, russian dressing, rye bread, swiss cheese...

Attachments

• drooling_homer.png
    drooling_homer.png
    10.2 KB · Views: 167
You guys are killing me! Just what I need, another project! Well, I've done the cottage cheese deal, suppose need to give this a whirl. Fresh 'kraut and pig hocks and baby reds in a crock pot, coming right up! Suppose I should make some spatzels (sp?) too!

Status
Not open for further replies.