Saving a tree

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fireview2788

Minister of Fire
Apr 20, 2011
SW Ohio
OK, I know most of us look for trees that are ready to come down and drool at the idea of firewood. I've got an ash tree, looks to be about 60' tall, that is leaning hard. The only thing keeping it from tumbling is the sod around it and the root system that looks to be shallow. It's a very healthy tree and since EAB is a problem here in Ohio I was trying to think of ways to save it but can't think of anything.

The biggest obstacle is that fact that it's so tall which makes tying it to another tree and then pulling it back straight a problem. I think this would only be a temporary fix anyway.

I think it's gone and will soon be firewood but thought I'd see if anyone here had an idea. This way I can also tell my wife I tired.

thanks,

fv

Most ash even if leaning really bad are still very strong. I would not worry too much as it will probably hold out until the EAB hits you. I'm surprised it hasn't got to you yet. But even when it hits, you still have lots of time before you have to cut the trees down. I see ash all over the place here that has been dead 5 years or more and they are still standing tall.

EAB is in the MetroPark just about a 1/10 of a mile from me. I've got one tree that I'm 85% sure is infected (dead crown and new branches coming out lower). I don't think this one will last long, the soil is so wet from all the rain and the lean is getting worse by the day. I've got a 4' stick that I stuck in the ground and put it about an inch from the tree to see if the lean is continuing or staying the same. Who knows, maybe you're right and I'll have the tree worlds version of the Leaning Tower of Pisa!

I may have the neighbor come down and drop it for me. I don't want to see anyone hurt if it comes down at the wrong time.

fv

That close, you can bet you'll be seeing some damage soon. Watch for a D shaped hole or holes in the tree. The first ones we found were only a couple feet from the ground. Also by fall or winter you'll notice the bark starting to come off and it will really show with the brown against the normal color. When you see that, you may as well cut them.....but they make excellent firewood.

Tree that big will not be able to be strighten. Now with the bores I would bet there in there even if you dont see signs.

Jay, if there are borers there, you will see the signs no matter the size of the tree. They have to bore in and when they do, they leave the telltale D shaped holes. The bark is the next sign to appear. This is one example of how they will look during the winter months. During summer it is more of a pale gray color where the bark is starting to flake off.

Ashborerdamage-3.jpg

I'm watching for the "D" holes in all of the trees since they appear in May-June. I've got one that the bark is falling off but there are no holes.

The good news is that the leaning tree hasn't gained any pitch since yesterday. I was looking at pictures from last June (when we bought the house) and it was leaning then but nearly as much. I think this years rain has caused the demise of this tree but it will equal some awesome BTUs.

fv

Backwoods Savage said:
Jay, if there are borers there, you will see the signs no matter the size of the tree. They have to bore in and when they do, they leave the telltale D shaped holes. The bark is the next sign to appear. This is one example of how they will look during the winter months. During summer it is more of a pale gray color where the bark is starting to flake off.

Ashborerdamage-3.jpg

Just milled one Sunday...I would have bet it was clean. After milling you could see the signs. Still solid but I would have bet it was clean. I was the one who fell it and buck it all the way to the trunk very clean....Now its a cloths line.

I have found that you will never miss a tree. If there is even a slight feeling that you might want it gone then cut it down. It is great to have forest near your house but not so close that any of those trees could fall on your home.

fireview2788 said:
I'm watching for the "D" holes in all of the trees since they appear in May-June. I've got one that the bark is falling off but there are no holes.

The good news is that the leaning tree hasn't gained any pitch since yesterday. I was looking at pictures from last June (when we bought the house) and it was leaning then but nearly as much. I think this years rain has caused the demise of this tree but it will equal some awesome BTUs.

fv

This reminds me of an ash we had. It was a double and one side really leaned. I wanted to cut the leaning side but it was so high I could not do it from the ground so just left it. Every year it kept leaning more and more and the split kept lowering. Finally this last winter we got both of them down and cut up for firewood. But I still wonder how many years it would have taken before that thing finally fell.

I'm going to keep an eye on it and see what happens. If the wind takes it down then there will be no stump to worry about so that is the direction I'm leaning.....pun intended.

fv

Status
Not open for further replies.