Saving Historic Trees

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenster

Minister of Fire
Jan 10, 2010
Texas- West of Houston
Another recent thread discussed the merits of poisoning perfectly healthy trees..... There are no merits but I wanted to share my story.

In what is now Austin, Texas there is a Live Oak tree, the sole survivor of 14 majestic lives oaks once called the Council Oaks and was a sacred meeting place of the Comanche and Tonkowa tribes. The Council Oaks fell to neglect and development of Austin, leaving one final tree: The Treaty Oak. Legend has it that Stephen F Austin, who founded a Mexican Land Grant colony in what is now Texas, and who is considered the Father of Texas, signed a treaty beneath the Treaty Oak that established boundaries between the Comanches and the white settlers. That trees is over 500 years old. The American Forestry Association declared it "The Most Perfect Specimen of a North American Tree and the Treat Oak was inducted into the Tree Hall of Fame in Washington, DC.

In 1989, in a deliberate act of vandalism, the chemical "Valpar" was poured onto the roots of the Treaty Oak. The dosage was found to be enough to kill 100 trees. Ross Perot gave a blank check to fund recovery of the tree. DuPont, the maker of the poison, gave a $10,000 reward for the capture of the man who poured the poison. The man was caught and sentenced to nine years in prison.

Efforts to save the tree were, for the most part, successful. About 2/3 of the tree died, however, and a large portion of the canopy had to be pruned. Almost ten years later the tree produced it's first crop of acorns since the poisoning. The city of Austin germinated the acorns and the seedlings were distributed throughout Texas and to many other states. I was able to obtain three of these seedlings. They came to me not much taller than the length of a pencil. I transplanted them into five gallon buckets and nurtured them for almost five years before planting them in the land in front of our home about six years ago. Below are my three offspring of the Treaty Oak, a tree that still lives today and is a living part of Texas History. Cheers!

Three weeks from now this land will be a sea of Bluebonnets!

This one is my favorite. It has a great shape. The bare trunk section is about four feet up, to give you an idea of its size.

treatyoak1.jpg

We almost lost the one below. The main shoot failed. I discovered a sprout coming up and nurtured it along. It thrives today.

treatyoak3.jpg

This one is much taller than the others but not quite as full. Still, a very nice tree.

treatyoak2.jpg

Kenster, I think this story you've told here is wonderful. I'm not sure the Gear forum is the right place for it. Actually, I'm not sure exactly where's the right place for it, but it needs to be someplace. I think for right now I'm gonna move it to the Wood Shed, since it's really about trees, not chainsaws. I also think that I'm going to edit the title of the thread a bit...I hope that's OK with you. I think what you've done (are doing) with these trees is most commendable. Rick

The vandal was caught after he bragged about the deed, saying it was a means of "casting a spell."

Unbelievable... Why poison a historic tree? I just don't get this tree-killing thing. Great story of propagating the parent tree though.... Lucky you for getting three!

Fantastic story, Kenster!!! It seems something similar (but not nearly as historic) is taking place in Auburn, Alabama with Toomer's Corner Oaks seedlings. Seems I read that 300-400 seedlings had be started from a previous season's acorns.

You've definitely got a piece of history there and sounds like they've got a good owner!!!

Ed

That is a great story--just wanted to comment on what a darlin' home you have there.

Reminds me of a tree I saw in New Jersey called the Old Oak Tree, lives in a churchyard full of Revolutionary War soldiers. The cemetary is so crowded that the sidewalk beside it runs through the graves of men and boys that died in the war. That tree was in full maturity even then--it's said to be 600 years old, and the cracking roots are bound with iron and the tree is supported with guy wires to protect it. Venerable indeed.

It's a funny thing . . . we all burn wood or wood products . . . and yet many of us still have a deep respect for the history and beauty of a tree . . . I suspect it's something that some folks just wouldn't understand.

Great story by the way.

Thank you for the story, I enjoyed hearing about the history!

So, Did Austin use the acorns to plant/replant the original Council Oaks configuration?

Rob

48rob said:
Thank you for the story, I enjoyed hearing about the history!

So, Did Austin use the acorns to plant/replant the original Council Oaks configuration?

Rob

Rob, I have not heard that though that would have been a great idea. I'll try to find out a little more about it.

firefighterjake said:
It's a funny thing . . . we all burn wood or wood products . . . and yet many of us still have a deep respect for the history and beauty of a tree . . . I suspect it's something that some folks just wouldn't understand.

Great story by the way.

Very much like being a hunter. Many can not fathom how one that hunts could possibly respect nature and all it's inhabitants. Truth is, the more time you spend around the wildlife, the more your love for it shows. Same with the wood. I love being in the woods. I love examining a tree and it's fine growth. I often find myself saving pieces off the splitter because of their uniqueness or beauty.

Status
Not open for further replies.