Saw Issues

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

08brute

Sep 30, 2009
South Dakota
I broke out the saws for some cutting (first time this year) and discovered my older saws are having some issues. I havent had a chance to tear into them yet but maybe someone can give me some ideas where to start...

Stihl 041 - Runs great for a minute or less and then dies. I figured maybe it had a cracked line so i filled it full of gas and it still does this. Filter is clean, plug looks ok, gas is fresh. It starts fine. To me it seems like it is running out of gas but i cannot confirm it isnt losing spark either.

Stihl 023 - This saw seems to have a "lobe". It starts and runs and will cut like crazy for a second and then lose power and then start cutting good again and then lose RPM's again. Once again the filter is clean, gas tank full, plug looks ok, fresh gas. I dont run ethanol in any of my small engines.

I dont recal having any issues with these saws last year.

I appreciate any suggestions to get me started.

08brute said:
I broke out the saws for some cutting (first time this year) and discovered my older saws are having some issues. I havent had a chance to tear into them yet but maybe someone can give me some ideas where to start...

Stihl 041 - Runs great for a minute or less and then dies. I figured maybe it had a cracked line so i filled it full of gas and it still does this. Filter is clean, plug looks ok, gas is fresh. It starts fine. To me it seems like it is running out of gas but i cannot confirm it isnt losing spark either.

Stihl 023 - This saw seems to have a "lobe". It starts and runs and will cut like crazy for a second and then lose power and then start cutting good again and then lose RPM's again. Once again the filter is clean, gas tank full, plug looks ok, fresh gas. I dont run ethanol in any of my small engines.

041 sounds like ignition trouble. Breaker Point ignition on that one?

023 is def fuel related, supply line is most likely leaking/sucking air. Pin hole? Cracks?

I will throw out there new fuel filters for both and try again!

MasterMech said:
08brute said:

041 sounds like ignition trouble. Breaker Point ignition on that one?

023 is def fuel related, supply line is most likely leaking/sucking air. Pin hole? Cracks?
I'm with MasterMech on this one. On that 023, might be a rebuild on carb is in order, definitely check those fuel lines carefully, though. The 041 sounds like classic dying ignition. Intermittent or starts then dies sounds about right for that.

Definitely can't hurt to put new filters on there, too. Never hurts to have a spare set around if that doesn't fix it, because they will eventually need to be replaced, so it's not wasting money!

Danno77 said:
Definitely can't hurt to put new filters on there, too. Never hurts to have a spare set around if that doesn't fix it, because they will eventually need to be replaced, so it's not wasting money!

Doesnt pay to throw parts around does it....lol Start cheap stay cheap! :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.