Saw mill blocks, new lean to. PICS added

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

weezer4117

Feeling the Heat
Dec 23, 2008
central In
Here are a few shots of my newly built lean to. A majority of the wood inside is from the local saw mill, you wouldnt believe what the mills around here waste!! Oh well, for $13 a load im not complaining!!

Attachments

• leanto.jpg
    leanto.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 742
  • lean to1.jpg
    lean to1.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 815
It looks good . . . blends into the surroundings -- in fact it seems to have Romulan cloaking technology . . . I bet the neighbors and spouse doesn't complain about its looks at all. :) ;)

Looks good weezer. Yes, it is sad that lots of wood just goes to waste around mills but not many will go to check on it either.

Backwoods Savage said:
Looks good weezer. Yes, it is sad that lots of wood just goes to waste around mills but not many will go to check on it either.

i was talking with the mill owner and he said the demand for his scraps (blocks) has went down in the past few years. To me there are several benefits to block wood. No bark, you dont have to fool around in the woods (although I do enjoy it), save fuel, on and on......

They work great for some folks. We have a neighbor down the road a bit who burns those blocks and has for years. He doesn't have his own woods so it works out great for him. I say get them!

The way the forestry industry has imploded here in the past few years, local mills are few and far between. There used to be at least 4 within a half hour drive of here just 10 years ago, now they're all done.

It's a messed up world we're in...

Maple, that is the case in most areas. We just had another one close near us and that mill had been operating even when I was a little boy. That was many, many moons ago too. It is sad but some day the demand will return. We just don't know how long before that will happen.

Actually now that there is a pic here . . . it does look good. Very nice.

That's odd that the local mill has fewer people wanting scraps.
The local mill here ( very small) has taken to putting their free stuff in a big cart with the fork lift at the end of the driveway so they don't have people walking around looking for stuff on the property all day long.
Demand went up about 2008 and hasn't subsided.

It's almost always empty by the next morning.

I would burn that stuff in a heart beat,shed looks great.We have a stair manufacturer who puts his scraps out front in a bin and I grab what I can for kindling but they don't last long

Dad always found a sawmill that had cheap slab pieces and ends. It made up 80% of our wood supply.
I used to be able to get the round core wood from a local veneer mill. Wow - that was some beautiful hard wood!
Nice shed. Glad you're getting such a nice supply of wood.

My little nephews would just love to play with those blocks.
They'd have neato forts set up in the back yard in no time.

Status
Not open for further replies.