Saw Trouble

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mayhem

Minister of Fire
May 8, 2007
Saugerties, NY
Out cutting a load of oak at lunch and I notice the saw doesn't seem to be as easy to get through to the logs. Took a look and saw that the handle was mostly detached from the body of the saw. No idea whats holding it on, have to get it on the bench and see if I've got a few loose or missing screws or if its actually broken.

Thoughts? Saw certainly doesn't owe me anything. I bought it for $120 in 1997 and have cut probably 30 cords or so with it. Probably spent more on fuel than the saw.

Make and model of saw would open up a world of info.

DOH!

Craftsman 42cc 18" saw. Cheapie, but reliable. Till today.

Yeah, time for a new saw!!!

wendell said:
Yeah, time for a new saw!!!

Was just reading the thread through in order.

your reply:::

LOL Made me laugh LOL
:)

Got a better look at it last night before bed. Looks like one of the anchors that holds the handle to the powerhead snapped clean off. The anchor points are all stiff springs (guess thats how the anti-vibration handle works, eh?). The spring that is bolted directly to the cooling fins on the right side if the powerhead broke off right at the bolt that hold it down. Checking to see if its a reasonably priced replacable part.

Need to disassemble to verify the busted part and see if anything else broke, but the isolator spring I found broken os only $8 from searspartsdirect.com. Its finny though because its slightly more for the shipping charges than the cost of the part.

Fortunately I won't need to pony up $400 that I don't have to spare right now. Too bad because I found what looks to be a real nice MS391 about 45 minutes away for $450 on Craigslist.

If you can fix it, then do it. Sounds like you have a good saw, BUT I'd be thinking about making it your backup saw (or finding a CL saw and making THAT your backup). That's a lot of wood to run through a homeowner's saw. It's gonna end up being like a water heater, they always die in the morning before showers have been had, the dishes need to be done, and there are about 100 loads of laundry to do.

Got it all disassembled, the single isolator spring is the only broken part...ordered a replacement along with a new air filter and spark plug (both original 13 year old parts).

I'll be looking around in the Spring for a new saw maybe and move this one to limbing and backup...still a great saw, but I suspect its getting tired...still keeps right up with the guys on the woodpile running Stihls and Husqvarnas though.

It will keep going to, I just picked up one the other day for $10, the fuel bulb is dry rotted and needs to be replaced but the saw still starts up. The older walbro carbs run like clockwork, since its down I would recommend cleaning the carb as well.

Good video on getting the carb apart, he has other videos on fixing them: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cxh95KZNt68

I fixxed my old Mac.. Then bought a Dolmar 5100. Loved it som much I got a Makita 6401 used for bucking big stuff. It will probably get made into an 79cc if I get a windfall. Good saws should pay for themselves early and often! I wish I'd retired the Mac(s) sooner.

ATB,
Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.