Scarlet or Black Oak maybe? Please ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WoodPyro

Aug 27, 2010
East TN
Hello,
I posted some pics earlier of various trees, pretty sure I got red and white oaks, now maybe see what kind. This first one I am sorta thinking southern red oak. Next one is either scarlet or black oak as near as I could guess. Anyone have any ideas? Is there going to be much difference between various red oaks as far as burning? Thanks, James

Attachments

• IMG_2078.jpg
    IMG_2078.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 166
  • IMG_2087.jpg
    IMG_2087.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 166
James, I have no experience with the two oaks you have. For id, just remember that reds have the pointed tips while the whites are rounded. As for burning the different oaks, there can be a big difference in some of the oaks here. For example if we burn red oak vs. pin oak (which are both reds) the pin is a lot different and even seems to dry slower. Then there are all those darned knots in the pin oaks.... Either way, they are the slowest drying woods I've ever seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.