Score and an ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

onion

Burning Hunk
Nov 3, 2009
Ohio
Local tree company needs to clean up their yard

2012-07-11_13-54-26_641.jpg

I think I can help. Girl there said they'll have wood all summer and I am welcome to it as long as I come during business hours (not ideal since it is an hour from home but only 1/2 hour from work).

Loaded up the truck today on my first visit. Next time I'll bring the trailer and some friends!

Anyone have a guess on what this is? There weren't many leaves and those that were there were pretty dried up but they looked like Beech. I loaded my truck completely with stuff from this tree.

P1070343.JPG

P1070345.JPG

I'd say some kind of Ash judging by how straight it split.Almost never see any American/White/Pi** Elm split like that,even straight grained pieces.Even though the bark can be similar sometimes..Beech has smooth bark with no ridges,scales or bumps.Even very large old specimens.

Looks like you hit the jackpot there.

Yeah there is a lot of pine in the big pile. I'm not opposed to burning pine but I'll take the hardwoods over it. Ash makes sense and I'm not sure why I didn't think of it. Lots more from that tree for me to get tomorrow and Friday.

Pine and white ash. Get all that ash you can get.

Notice the telltale sucker on that one ash in picture two. The ash will send these little suckers out after they are attacked. The tree begins to die and so it sends new growth to try to heal itself. It doesn't work as they will die anyway. Some of the ash we've cut haven't had too many but most have lots of these little suckers.

Well, other than the ash split, hard to tell from the pic, but wow, that's a lot of easy wood. I would get all of that that I could.....the good stuff first of course.;)

Status
Not open for further replies.