Score! Widow Lady Neighbor Strikes Again (edited for pics)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenster

Minister of Fire
Jan 10, 2010
Texas- West of Houston
The lady down the road let me take a large, freshly storm downed Pin Oak from the front of her property a few weeks ago. Documented in this forum. She also let me have several stacks of oak rounds that had been stacked in various places on her property, some sitting for up to five years. I got maybe a half cord of keepers out of that but it will be ready to burn this winter. I had to toss a lot of rotten rounds that were at the bottom of the stacks.
Yesterday we talked and she told me that she had another Oak taken down a couple of years ago that was storm damaged. The guy who took it down dumped all the wood on the creek bank behind her property. I went to look at it today.
It's a Water Oak, my favorite. A whole bunch of five or six inch limbs running four to six feet long. I had to haul them out of the trees that line the creek bank and up the bank to stack them. Pretty good workout in the 93 degrees and high humidity we are having this morning. I couldn't get all of it today. The butt end log will have to be cut up or hauled out by chain. Either way will be tough due to the steep creek bank. Several more larger logs down there, too. Should be around a cord once bucked and split. But the best part is that I'm certain that 80% of it is burnable now with no signs of punk. The wood just feels light for its size. There are some larger limbs that are 12 inches or more than may not be ready yet, and I seriously doubt the butt end trunk, which is about five feet long, is even close to ready. Pics below.
After I get this done, she also has a HUGE water oak that is freshly blown over, further down the creek but up on level ground. I can drive my truck right up to it. It's so fresh, all the dry leaves are still attached. Frankly, it's just too hot to work on that any time soon but it will still be there come autumn.

creek4.jpg

creek3.jpg

creek2.jpg

creek1-1.jpg

Seeing that title I thought this was going to be a thread I needed to delete. :lol:

Nice score.

I've got some more pics but the site wouldn't take them. Maybe they were too big. First time I've tried to upload directly. Never had a problem going through Photobucket.
Will add them later when I have time.

Kenster, nice score. My neck was hurting so I rotated one of the pictures>

Zap

Attachments

• creek4.jpg
    creek4.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 389
zapny said:
Kenster, nice score. My neck was hurting so I rotated one of the pictures>

Zap

I just lay my monitor on its side.

Good score on the oak. I likes me some oak.

Edited and added pics.

Status
Not open for further replies.