Score!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zknowlto

Aug 1, 2009
Lansing, MI
I responded to a CL ad yesterday day in which the guy mentioned that he had many trees "mostly softwood", downed and buck, that he was giving away. When I talked to him he was hesitant to let me come up since he had, apparently, promised all the wood to a someone who hadn't shown up yet. I did, however, talk him into letting me come out once and fill up my little trailer. Amid the 100+ downed pines (cut by local power company to keep them off their lines) I found this stuff. I think this is white oak, it splits super easy and smells like a whiskey barrel, but I'm not sure. What do you say?

th_3.jpg

th_2.jpg

I think it is Mulberry. Just about as good as oak.

Wood Duck said:
I think it is Mulberry. Just about as good as oak.

+1

Mulberry is good stuff. Will dry much faster than oak & throw out good heat. The clear rounds split very well. If you split by hand you may want to try a splitting block cut on a bit of an angle to help keep some of those rounds cut on an angle standing up.

Mulberry, eh? I'm actually kind of glad to hear that I won't need to put this up until winter 2013/14. Thanks for the advice about an angled chopping block. I usually have OK luck just propping up the angled side with a large twig or cut off, but will consider this if necessary.

While not trying to curse my good fortune, I really wish I could rent a truck and make another trip (or several) to this guy's place. Though mostly softwood, the stuff he had on the ground would have been many years worth of wood for me. Oh well. Maybe his other connection will fall through and I'll get the go ahead for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.