scrap wood- not bad

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I need about 2 cord of mixed wood to fire the kiln for 24 hours, but having not thought ahead enough- and having a good winter- I needed to order some. Mill scrap is a typical source for kiln wood- I found a place that delivers about a cord of banded pine scrap for $50 (a little more than they normally charge because it's a couple towns away). I got 4 bundles (cord).

I threw the guys an extra $20 for lunch and gave them a jug that I made- I told them I know to keep folks like them on my good side because I might be relying on them.

IMG_0917.jpg

Shoot - wish I could find a deal like that around here. Would be nice stuff to have around for burning here and there. I might just have to pop into the next mill I see and not assume it is closed down...

That should work very well for you. I agree. Make friends with that group! You done well.

Nice job. Can you just toss those pieces in the kiln or do you have to chop them down? You firing it up before the warm weather hits?

Can't wait to see the next batch of items from that firing. A really cool procedure that I have had zero introduction to, until AP started yappin about it a while back. Neat stuff for sure.

Looks like ya got some good ash makin' firewood there, AP.

Looks like what I've been burning for the better part of the winter. Bought 10 of them from an Amish carpenter - mostly oak, walnut, and maple with a little cherry. They were $10 a bundle, but between fuel and time I ended up with closer to $35 each. Like you mentioned, it is a pain to buck up. One piece will go from veneer thin to big chunks. I ended up building a sort of cradle to process it, but it's still a bit of a pain. And my stove takes lengths a mite smaller than 40 inches... :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.