Screws stuck on Jotul 602 B outlets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Psuedotsuga

Oct 6, 2011
Durango, CO
Hi. I'm trying to switch an old Jotul 602 B from top-vent to rear-vent, but can't get the screws on either the pipe adaptor or rear plate to budge. Too much rust/creosote. I've tried liquid wrench, tapping the screwdriver with a hammer, and even a screw extractor on one screw. No luck. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Had a similar problem when I was changing over my old vigilant....I believe the solution was an impact drill.

Good luck with this one.

Sheer them off, then drill them out with a good sharp bit, then retap.

On the stove, you might be able to get away without retapping - that is, drill them out and then use a though bolt to attach the blank plate or the collar. This depends on whether they are already through bolts (some stoves have tappings from the inside that do not penetrate the plates...)

BeGreen said:

Thanks for the tip. I've never re-tapped threads. What type of drill is required? Does the cast iron make it more diificult? Thanks.

When I rebuilt our 602 I was prepared for all sorts of grief drilling out the bolts. With a fresh bit it was a piece of cake. The bolts are steel, not cast iron.

Psuedotsuga said:
BeGreen said:

Thanks for the tip. I've never re-tapped threads. What type of drill is required? Does the cast iron make it more diificult? Thanks.

If you do re-tap you have to have a drill that matches the size of your tap. It may have to be a size up from what is used now - if you mess up the existing threads by removing the bolts. But that might not happen.

Most hardware or auto parts stores will have the taps and matching bits.

Or, use the ultimate source - McMaster-Carr - the tables there should show the right size bits and taps.
http://www.mcmaster.com/#taps/=ejl0m6

Cast iron is relatively soft and easy to tap.

Thanks everyone. I finally undertook this task yesterday...three hours and three broken bits later, I have reconfigured the stove. Re-tapping was really easy. Removing the old screws was the big challenge. On to the hearth and installation...

Status
Not open for further replies.