scrounged another truck load

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

learnin to burn

Feeling the Heat
Nov 22, 2008
Southeastern, Pa
Found this on the side of the road last night, maybe a 1/4 of the bed. Any idea what it is? Then finished filling up with locust.

Attachments

• DSC00034.JPG
    DSC00034.JPG
    51.7 KB · Views: 456
  • DSC00035.JPG
    DSC00035.JPG
    55.2 KB · Views: 464
Could be sasafras. Are the leaves very oddly shaped and not very uniform from one to the other?

LEE nailed it. Tulip poplar (named after the shape of the leaf)

State tree of Tennessee. Supposed to burn pretty fast.

Picked up another load this morning. I thought I was picking up locust with the poplar from the pic above but didn't really look at it very good. Now I'm wondering if this Black Walnut instead. I just don't know. What do you guys think?

Can you tell I'm trying to build a wood library of pics?

Attachments

• DSC00039.JPG
    DSC00039.JPG
    58.6 KB · Views: 368
Can't help with the ID as all I can reliably ID is free. However, it would seem that your woodpile is going to have as much diversity as mine.

That first pic is definitely Tulip Poplar, it grows like weeds around here. Good for milder weather, but don't expect to bank any overnight fires with it. The second pic looks a lot like some of the tight bark hickory I split at the end of last year.

The dark heartwood stuff could def be Black Walnut...check for the chemical smell when you cut it.

The first picture is Tulip Poplar, aka Yellow Poplar, Tulip Tree, etc. It isn't in the poplar/cotton/aspen family (which contains trees with mostly very low BTU content in the wood), and is sort of a medium-grade hardwood similar to soft maples or white birch as firewood. The second tree sure looks like Black Walnut to me. Smaller Balck Walnuts have a wide white ring of sapwood around the dark heartwood. I think walnut is more or less similar in BTUs to Tulip Tree - in other words, medium density.

First is poplar. Worst hardwood I know. Second is probably black walnut. Better than poplar not as good as ash/oak. Diffinitive smell on the black walnut. I like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.