Scrounged Oak and Pine

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wood Duck

Minister of Fire
Feb 26, 2009
Central PA
This past week has been a good one for scrounging. Last Saturday a post appeared on FreeCycle offering 1/2 cord of firewood. Fortunately my wife was on the computer at the time and we were the first to reply. It turned out to be an actual 1/2 cord of oak. Some of it is a little rotten on the outside, but most is very solid inside. I little extra splitting or scraping away the punky stuff should give me a bunch of nice firewood.

Meanwhile, a neighbor I have never met, but who lives just on the other side of a small woods, is having a pool installed. I stopped by for a chat and asked about the 60 ft Scots Pine that was taken down to make room for the pool. If the rain ever stops I'll move that pine to my wood stacks. Together pine and oak are a perfect combination - pine for fast starts, oak for long burns.

The pictures show the pine after I made a couple of cuts, and the oak stacked up near my trailer. A couple of my stacks are in the background.

Attachments

• 28 sep 2011 041.jpg
    28 sep 2011 041.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 315
  • 28 sep 2011 033.jpg
    28 sep 2011 033.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 323
always keeping an eye out online, good job! Because you never know what your gonna get.

Good score. As for some punk on the oak, that is quite common and we've never been concerned about it. Just stack it all together.

That's just ducky, WoodDuck! :coolgrin:

Backwoods Savage said:
As for some punk on the oak, that is quite common and we've never been concerned about it.
I find punk to be extremely unsettling. I won't have it! I find I must either chop it off with a hatchet or split the punky edges off the rounds when power-splitting, both of which are time-consuming. I'm experimenting with a giant rotisserie that will take an 8' log, with which I can burn the punk off. But that's just me... :cheese:

I have some oak with punk on it and I don't like it - the punk absorbs water and I am sure that means the solid wood next to it doesn't season well. I plan to remove as much as is feasible. I dont cover my stacks like Backwoods Savage does, which probably is the difference between his take (leave it) and mine (remove it).

Status
Not open for further replies.