Scroungers delight

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Got Wood

Minister of Fire
Oct 22, 2008
Dutchess Cty, NY
Saturday I headed over to a friends lot to take down some smaller trees. I was working alone (I know not a great idea but the friend was in his house and keeping an eye out)....just plugging along at a steady pace and took home two loads (in my F150 Supercrew I only have a 5 ft bed so a load is approx 1/3 cord) in about 4 hours of work. So today I'm sitting in my home office and the phone rings and another friend tells me he was doing a job for a lady who asked him to take down an oak tree which he did. He had bucked it up and loaded his pickup full (to bring to me) but asked if I could free up to pickup the rest... which I did - it filled my truck up. So I got close to a cord of oak today and spend about 30 min. Go figure...

Lesson to me is keep many people informed that you want wood, you never know when a score will hit.

Now I got some splittin to do

That appears to be the trick. Tell everyone you know you want wood and it will come.

You have some great contacts.

As for working alone, that is how I normally work! My wife used to always be with me but she no longer can do much and it does not bother me at all working alone. I rather enjoy it.

It's a sweet thing when the wood comes to you.

Must be my lucky week... I ran into a friend who I coach youth sports and golf with. I had not seen him since the fall. We got to talking and I told him about my new fireplace and all the wood scrounging I was doing. He said, I had 2 trees taken down last year and left on the side of my proprety near the road, come take them if your interested. So, I dropped over to check it out after work yesterday. Jack pot! There is easily 2-3 cords worth of logs (Ash) cut to about 6 foot lengths. Between this and my original post my March workload is set! Then its time to get the golf clubs out (I hope)

I saw an add on CL yesterday for free wood. He said he took down two trees and the wood was cut but not split on the side of the driveway. I stopped by and took a load of red oak rounds that filled my truck, the other tree was a pine that was dead standing. No bark nice and dry. When I went back for the second load it was gone but I got a whole load of red oak. The best part is it is partially seasoned, I split it last night and it was all cracked already and looks to be about 50% seasoned. The logs were cut a while ago they were frozen to the ground. I got 19 rounds 16 - 18 in diameter.

Got Wood said:
Saturday I headed over to a friends lot to take down some smaller trees. I was working alone (I know not a great idea but the friend was in his house and keeping an eye out)....just plugging along at a steady pace and took home two loads (in my F150 Supercrew I only have a 5 ft bed so a load is approx 1/3 cord) in about 4 hours of work. So today I'm sitting in my home office and the phone rings and another friend tells me he was doing a job for a lady who asked him to take down an oak tree which he did. He had bucked it up and loaded his pickup full (to bring to me) but asked if I could free up to pickup the rest... which I did - it filled my truck up. So I got close to a cord of oak today and spend about 30 min. Go figure...

Lesson to me is keep many people informed that you want wood, you never know when a score will hit.

Now I got some splittin to do

This is how I get 90% of my wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.