Scroungers Dream

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenster

Minister of Fire
Jan 10, 2010
Texas- West of Houston
We met my son halfway between here and Dallas today to hand off our two year old granddaughter who has been visiting for a week. All along the drive (and we returned by different route) we saw hundreds and hundreds of trees, mostly oak, either downed, severely damaged, or obviously dead. Along one stretch where a rural highway is being widened the utility crews have been cutting down and trimming trees along the power line easement. Tons of good oak laying along the road side.

Now, my bride wouldn't have taken too kindly to me loading up the back of her little Lexus with future firewood. Besides, being almost three years ahead and having a few more years worth ready to be bucked and split, I didn't drool over it as much as I would have in the past.

Still.... I'm always looking. It gets in your blood, don't it?

It does! I always find myself thinking of when I can get back to get it! Although I have to agree with your wife that firewood and the Lexus may not mix!

I hope you had a good week with your granddaughter! Times like that are truly a gift!

Its in my blood now to...wife thinks I'm crazy.

Amazing how the mind works. I don't know if it's greed or passion.
But I am always looking. I've yet to stop & ask but see many fresh down good trees, I guess I should.
I'm having fun in the state cutting area, so to get more work lined up right now just seems too much. But I still look & think how I'd get close& get it in the truck & trailer.
Having 3 years worth is nice, but seeing it go to waste, still hurts a bit. The ones close to home are the most difficult.
Gotta be an addiction, a good one though.

Sounds like you should be driving your car not hers ;-)

SolarAndWood said:
Sounds like you should be driving your car not hers ;-)

Yeah, mine is an F-150 regular cab. Kinda hard to find a spot for the baby's car seat and her car gets twice the mileage on a road trip.

I did manage to pack in several nights worth of good dry oak for my son as a thank you for loaning us one of his daughters for the week.
He used 'store bought' wood last year and talked about how smokey it was. Now he'll be able to see what it's like to burn good, dry wood.

red oak said:
I hope you had a good week with your granddaughter! Times like that are truly a gift!

Granddaughter was a hoot. She's two years old. Loves to watch the movie "Bambi" at least twice a day. She says "Bam Bam" instead of Bambi.
We have a bunch of deer all around our house. Every time she would see some deer come out of the woods or walking across the meadow she'd squeal "Bam Bam! Bam Bam."

It finally dawned on me that she realizes it is deer season. (BAM! BAM!)

Good girl!

Ken, it seems very natural to spot all the wood going to waste. I see it on every trip and although I don't want it for myself I keep wishing more folks would take advantage of all that wood going to waste. There is one certain hickory that is standing dead that I've thought about asking if I could cut it.

I thought I was the only one who did that! Nice to know I have company. :coolsmirk:

Thistle said:
I thought I was the only one who did that! Nice to know I have company. :coolsmirk:

Nowadays I always see firewood everywhere- stuff that I used to ignore. So much gets wasted.

It completely gets in your blood....i wonder if it will ever leave...sometimes i feel guilty if i take a pass on more free wood,,,,i mean i have all i need for the next 3 years but iuf i pass up a scrounge i feel bad about it...almost like i'm missing out.....i dont have enough room....thats the problem

I look at all the dead Ash trees here in Michigan and think what a waste. To bad more of that wood couldn't be used to help people out, instead of just rotting on the ground.

Kyle19 said:
It completely gets in your blood....i wonder if it will ever leave...sometimes i feel guilty if i take a pass on more free wood,,,,i mean i have all i need for the next 3 years but iuf i pass up a scrounge i feel bad about it...almost like i'm missing out.....i dont have enough room....thats the problem

Yep, I know how you feel. So now all my "extra" wood I'm unloading on my elderly neighbor. Which I'll have to process, but thats part of the fun.

Make sure you save space in the backseat for some dimensional lumber for building the dawghouse . . . still, I'd LMAO to see a pic of that Lexus bulging with firewood. :lol:

I thought I was the only one out there who was always looking for wood, til I stumbled along this site. Good to find others out there like me.
I had to join up after lurking for a few days.

tamarack said:
I thought I was the only one out there who was always looking for wood, til I stumbled along this site. Good to find others out there like me.

Naaa...it'll pass. If it doesn't you'll end up like one of those forum members that have been here for the last 5 years with thousands of posts. Now THOSE guys need to get a life. :red:

Welcome to the forum tamarack.

tamarack said:

Tamarack welcome! Yes it can be a bit of addiction but a good one!

Thanks guys - Just finished putting the snowblower on the Deere. Snows coming in tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.