Seal the outside of your chimney?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

moondoggy

Oct 29, 2007
Long Island NY
hey all,
i have noticed on 2 different homes lately, rather then just tar the flashing around the base of the chimney, fully sealed/tarred
chimneys.(it looks clean, black, almost like a sleeve)
the outside of my chimney (redbrick) has seen better days, I keep useing that "thomsons sealant" every year, but i still see
some deterioration.
has anyone else sealed the brick like this with the tar?
would it be a BAD idea?
i appreciate it.

Spauling of bricks is kinda common but I can't see tarring a chimney. Sounds ugly to me. There are two hundred year old brick chimneys around that are fine.

Don't bother tarring it, looks like crap, and it will crack and fall off fairly easily & quickly.

Would you tar the window seal that went bad? Not trying to be a smart arse but fix it right and you will be happy, the tar would come off and not all at once leaving a mess on the chimney, roof, and a real eyesore!

thanks for the input/insite.
that link has some good info... must have missed that post.
gonna do some research.
thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.