Seal up the stove to chimney adaptor?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bayshorecs

Sep 28, 2008
Central Illinois
I installed 95% of my chimney this weekend. Just missing a 6" piece of DVL now...

When installing the stove to chimney adaptor, it was an extremely tight fit. I had to take a piece of wood and a mallet to drive the adaptor onto the stove. After it was on, I realized the interior pipe of the adaptor crinkled a little bit.

Should I take the piece back off and line the opening with 2000* silcone and reinstall the adaptor? I am a little concerned about leaks the way it is.

Any ideas?

Got to a Do It Center or hardware store and get a caulking tube I think it called Furnace and Stove Sealant. I real sandy like and hardens when it get hot. works great, i used it all around my stove pipe joints.

thats it.

the caulk tube of stuff from lowes does not last for me.

it gets hot, and gets brittle, and cracks. I had it on top of the chimney cap, and around, the flue to stove collar, both places eventually leaked.

im using this stuff now, and it seems to hold up to higher temps.

http://www.redhillgeneralstore.com/A27115.htm

I am using the same stuff from Rutland but in the caulk tube form. Guess when my last piece shows up, I will seal it up and fire up the stove! Only had to wait 1 1/2 months for chimney parts!

Status
Not open for further replies.