Sealant cure before using my stove? 24 hours OK?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jsavage

Oct 12, 2009
Southern Utah
Finished installing the venting for my stove yesterday. The sealant connecting the vent to the stove has been fully cured. The sealant between all the pipe joints, and around the thimble was applied last night. I'm wondering if it's safe to use my stove tonight or if that will risk ruining the seals. I could normally wait, but it's getting wicked cold here.

i think 24 hrs is plenty time......check the tube it should tell ya the cure time.

oh yeah almost forgot......post some pics of the new stove

FIRE IT UP...

krooser said:
FIRE IT UP...

Yep, what he said...FIRE IN THE HOLE!!!!

BTW, what brand/model stove?? And like Hemi said, we LOVE pics of new installs...especially pics of the stove burning.

Here's some pics! Note that this is unfinished. I'm going to build around the stove and finish everything off with manufactured stone... somehow. Running good so far. I've only taken it up to setting 3 though. Just out of curiosity, how hot will the wall next to the pipe get on full blast? In other words, when should I get concerned? I sealed the gap between the pipe and the thimble with quite a bit of sealant. I'm just concerned now that maybe it wasn't a good idea to use so much and that the sealant might actually transfer the heat more. This is my 1st stove, 1st install, so maybe I'm just being paranoid. :p

Also, I notice when the agitator turns, quite a few sparks fly up, assuming that's normal?

stove1.jpg

stove2.jpg

The wall won't get hot at all .at least mine doesn't .When it gets to hot the room will be hot and you will have turned it down . I think they are much safer than a wood stove . They must be or the insurance co.would have a sur charge on them .

Looks great, why not put the stone down first though? Might be a pita to work around and get everything new dirty?

Enjoy your heat you are doing to love it.

jsavage said:
Also, I notice when the agitator turns, quite a few sparks fly up, assuming that's normal?

Totally normal. When the new pellets hit the burnpot they disrupt some of the burning bits and they fly around. We call them fireworks, Like the fourth of July. Some pellets are worse than others.

The new stove jitters don't last long. You will be an old pro before you know it. Thanks for posting pict's and Enjoy the new toy. Keep it clean and tidy. It will keep you nice and warm.

Congrates
jay

Reactions: usefulidi0t
Status
Not open for further replies.