Sealing domestic hot water coil cover Tarm Solo 40

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Ctnewski

Dec 16, 2019
Colchester, CT
First post here, this site is awesome! Just picked up a 2nd hand Solo 40 which had been sitting for several years, cleaned everything thoroughly, replaced gasket around refractory nozzle hooked up plumbing and when pressure testing water came spilling out the top cover over the well for the hot water coil. I removed the cover gasket was intact but brittle, I used some Permatex Red RTV gasket make on both sides of the gasket but after reassembling it there is still as slow leak. The gasket from Tarm seems ridiculously expensive. Does anyone have any other ideas for material for gasket replacement, or should I just try the RTV by itself? Thanks for any help you can provide.

I'm not familiar with the specific details of that particular boiler, but I am assuming the DHW coil is just a flanged item that inserts into the water jacket and is bolted down? Grainger probably has what you need. Use old gasket or the flange for measurements and as a template for making the bolt holes.

We get sheet gasket at my work and make a lot of whatever we need. You can cut this kind of stuff with a razor knife, drill bolt holes in it, or use a hammer and punches.

The blue stuff at the top of the search is rated for 150 psi (500 max) and a temp of -40 to 400 deg F.