Sealing Flue Joints on New Insert?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

billjustbill

Dec 26, 2008
Texas
A new guy here...I appreciate any insight you have about my new insert.

Last week we had a new Lopi Freedom Bay insert installed and a new 6" SS liner runs between the insert, through the old but good condition chimney, and out the top of the old chimney. I have some questions about how it was done.

The attachment of the flue starting at the insert begins with a 6" diameter SS metal offset with the corrigated end stuck into the metal ring opening of the Freedom Bay.

2. From there is a connection of a section of 6" diameter SS flex flue about 3-1/2 feet long. It is attached to the first SS 30 degree elbow with ss metal screws at the insert, and then also is attached to the end of 11 feet of 6" SS single wall solid metal flue. The solid tubing sections were screwed to each other.

3. The chimney end goes through a new 1/4" thick plate of steel in which the 6" metal flue passes through and sticks about 3" above the plate. The metal tubing is supported with a SS metal clamp screwed to the tubing to carry the weight The bare metal plate covers the old chimeny opening and the SS flue pipe were both sealed with a cartridge marked as a 50yr clear silicone applied around the rectangular chimney opening. A Stainless Steel chimney rain cap is bolted and sealed to the old concrete with 4 bolts that allow the top to be removed for future cleanings.

There has been no smoke detected, yet. I'm worried that there might be a smoke/carbon monoxide leakage at the connection joints, since the top of the chimney is sealed closed and any leakage comes out of the fireplace into the house. There is no insulation behind the black cover panels that cover the fireplace opening and it is not sealed with anything to prevent it coming back into the house.

My question: Should all these connection points have been wrapped or sealed with a high temp sealant? What should I look for or ask the stove company to do?

Thanks for helping a first timer,
Bill

For the most part, your "unsealed" connections are not going to vent anything out, but will, in fact, draw air into them...
While it's not conducive to good drafting at start-up, I don't see where you're going to have any issues. Everything is contained within your chimney, for the most part.
You may, however , have an issue with the 50-year silicone running down your chimney...your installer probably should have used hi-temp RTV silicone to mount the plate to the flue tile...
Just my ,02

I guess I left out that when they ran the new 6" SS flex and solid tubing, they cut out the damper and left the whole area wide open. From the firebox opening where the insert sits, there is a 6"x 24" opening into the old chimney in which the 6" tubing runs. All of the old chimney is still connected to the old fireplace's firebox and the original chimney opening is now sealed closed only at the very top, so if there is any gas/smoke leakage from those unsealed connections, it can come back into the firebox and slips by the wide black metal trim panels on the side and above the new insert.

About 30 to 45 minutes each time the insert is fired up or is allowed to drop down to glowing coals, I'll hear a brief low tone noise like the short flex tube expands due to heating or contracts as it cools. Would that brief sound be from that expanding flex tubing, and after a period of time when the flex SS part becomes old and non-flexible, would that movement cause it to crack?

Thanks for the help and experience,
Bill

Any other ideas or comments? Just don't have enough info to be happy with the install...

Thanks,
Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.