sealing it up.....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mscj

Feb 1, 2009
Plainview, TX
I tightened up my cleanout slides last weekend....only hit 36 today, so I fired it up after work. Running on HR7 of 9, I'm getting a 225+ degree air output temp reading in the same spot I struggled to hit 200 on HR9 last year. Question is--by reducing the amount of air coming into the chamber anywhere besides through the burn pot, would the burn efficiency be increased my such a great amount? I verified with two other thermometers, all within a degree or two. Can't think of anything else I've done that would have an effect.....burning a couple of bags of Tidy Timbers left over from last year. BTW, thanks to all you guys on here--without the info I pick up on the forum I'd have never gotten the stove to run very well at all.

Is it touching any steel. That may be a cause. But 225 is a good average for my temps. I have 218-220 right now with AWF's. Thats a pretty good temp for my lowest setting on the Quad.

I am using a K type thermocouple. What are you using to measure temps?

Not touching any metal--did doublecheck that. I used a dial type thermometer, a digital thermometer, and an older version of what is now an Atkins 35200, all with the same length temperature probes.

Are you running your convection blower on the same setting?

Are the Tidy Timbers what yoi measured off of last year?

Also, if your damper is closed a little more, it will send less heat out the flue. Keeping more heat in the stove. Other than that, I wojld say congrats on the new found temps. Maybe a good cleaning you did? After a good cleaning, I get increases temps.

I temped it with three different pellets last year, these included. It's running hotter that it ever has. Just going to enjoy the extra heat this year, hopefully it'll keep it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.