Searching for Fisher Grandma Bear stove doors

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to the Forum. A picture of the door you have would help. They came in; Flat top, Stars with '76 and stars without '76. Tall trees, or short trees. The arched tops came in; Black cast iron, nickel, brass, III glass or IV glass. What side ? Each foundry that made them used different patterns, so they do vary slightly. The hinge plates are welded on the stove with it on it's back with door in place. Changing out one door usually will not line up and work without cutting off the hinge plates and welding them in the correct position for the different door.
I've tried to switch doors from single door stoves, and they don't work. They bind, or won't shut at all. Double doors would be worse finding one thta works and lines up with the other side.
Do you need the handle, spring and draft cap as well?? There are variations by year in each of those as well. No, it's not a simple question. But you're starting in the right place.
Can I ask what happened to the old door? They are repairable in most cases.

Thank you for your response. The stove was in a house I bought to rent out. The door was missing when I first saw it. I have pictures of it, but I don't know how to get them to you. I'm new to the blog and I am trying to learn the rules. Can I find out how to send you pictures on this site or should I post my email address so I can attach the photos to an email. I could also upload them to a site and post the link. What should I do? The door that's there has an arched top. It is 12" wide and has pine trees and the word Fisher on it. The door that's there has a single vent nob on it. I appreciate any help I can get from any of you.

You can go to my Profile and email me, or PM (Private Message) or send to [email protected]

Due to door and shipping costs you want to check local scrap yards first. As long as it's a Grandma (5 bricks across back) it will use the same doors as on an Insert. They don't have the stepped top, and are long and flat. So you need a left door for this stove?

Attachments

• Grandma 2 9-2011.jpg
    Grandma 2 9-2011.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 1,188
Status
Not open for further replies.