Sears G-44 Thread

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Danno77

Minister of Fire
Oct 27, 2008
Hamilton, IL
So, here she is. The Sears G-44... 'bout 70cc, it's a Gear drive, and weighs more than my MS170 and less than my Super 250, so somewhere between 9lbs and 2 tons.
http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.n...57c6c9e3a9b9d41288256cf100261300?OpenDocument
d263f165.jpg

293ab0b7.jpg

e1e21bf1.jpg

2b8d32ff.jpg

It says "lightweight" right on the label...how heavy could it be? Lightweight compared to a cinder block maybe...

Taking a look at the carb and intake:

Notice the twist ties on the return fuel line...Very nice. oiler line has a kink and hard plastic line that needs replaced. the fuel lines crumbled when I removed them as well as that main oiler line.
da1581ab.jpg

Here's more of the carb:
fde94442.jpg

7472321f.jpg

After fiddling with the saw, i think it was getting fuel, but no spark. It's really hard to see anything through the intake and exhaust ports, but what I can see looks good.

The coil/Magneto is bad, I think, this could be a hard thing to source. Here's a picture of the dirtiness that lies within the flywheel housing. Note the super awesome snake skin mod...
269961d2.jpg

Sweet! Guess you'll be selling your Stihls soon...

Raced go carts for years running twin Power Products chainsaw engines. Things were tough and would get down and get it.

BrotherBart said:
The IPLs and what parts that are still available. Not many.

http://tinyurl.com/6tvqhut
Just nuts and bolts! I found those lists and a service manual of sorts, too. After receiving some advice, it sounds like maybe I just need to clean the points up. Let's all cross our fingers on that. (it's NEVER that easy, though)

DanCorcoran said:
Sweet! Guess you'll be selling your Stihls soon...
I love playing with these old saws, but they sure do make me appreciate the space age technology of my 25 year old 028!!!

Five or six years ago I picked up a really old saw saw at an estate auction. I was going to mess around with some old ones but never found the time. One day I put fuel in it an fired it off. It ran but kind of rough. I took a close look and there were no bolts holding cylinder on. Just the shroud. I had paid a dollar for it. It went to the dump. Keeping my daily users in shape is enough to keep up with.

Status
Not open for further replies.